Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Good bench: 210 x 6

So I am starting to think that this arm training actually might have some serious merit haha. This is the second really solid bench day I have had in a row, since starting the arm training. Maybe it's just coincidence - it is VERY early on - but still, it's certainly not a bad sign haha.

A true man

Started with 5/3/1 bench. Warmed up, hit the bar, then 95, then 135. Then work sets, 160 x 5 and 185 x 5 all felt really solid. Just like the other day, I focused on tight arch, setting up with the bar over my chin  (closer to my chest than before), and controlling the weight down/exploding it up with a focus on using my muscles, and I felt really solid. Loaded up 210 and went after it, hitting it for a really solid set of 6. That's not crazy or anything, but it ties my PR at this weight, and it was much more solid/easy than last time, when I barely eeked out the 6th rep. A 7th rep was questionable - maybe I would have gotten it, but obviously I wasn't SO confident because I didn't go for it - but the 6 was definitely a lot better than last time. Afterwards, backed off to 185 and hit it for a 3 x 3 with limited rest and a long pause on a few reps, which felt very good.

Next, rear delt flyes. Did 3 sets of 18 with the 10 lb dumbells without much rest.

Next, strict press also went very well. Still focusing on being a) stricter with my hips, and b) focusing on using my muscles to move the weight explosively. Hit the bar and 115, then went to 155. First set was great. I was really strict, I could REALLY feel that I was using my shoulders, and I got a very solid 8 reps - tried for a 9th and failed. I probably shouldn't have, but I kind of forgot that I was still trying to focus on getting back to a 3 x 8 haha. Rested a bunch, then hit it again. Sets 2 and 3 were a little shittier - just a tiny bit less strict, I didn't feel myself using my muscles as well, and the bar got out in front a little more often. I hit a set of 8 on the second set, and then a set of 7 - just barely couldn't lock out 8. Still, not bad! much better than the last couple weeks, and I am definitely doing them more strict than before. I just need to keep focusing on driving up with my shoulders, and keeping my hips squeezed tight and forward, and hopefully I will be able to break the plateau of 3 x 8 at this weight.


Finally, used the cables. Lat pulled 130 for a heavyish set of 20, and then cable rowed 150 for a heavy set of 20, and called it a day.

Overall, a pretty kickass day. Tied my bench PR at 210 easily, I'm getting VERY close to breaking this press plateau with much stricter form, and I am really starting to feel how to use my muscles better when pressing instead of being so robotic about it - a change that I think might help me a lot in getting my bench up. I'm excited to train arms tomorrow! It seems promising thus far... lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment