Monday, April 8, 2013

Squat 315 x 9

Today was a whacky day. Started out feeling like shit and felt like shit for most of the workout. Nothing too horrible, just slow, weak, creaky, etc. However, managed to turn it into a pretty great session with just some force of will.

Big ass back!

Started with squats. Hit the bar for a set of 10, then 125 for 10, 6, then 205 for 8, all the time trying to focus on controlled and beautiful reps. Felt okay, until I loaded up 245 for my first work set of 5. It just didn't feel all that good. The weight moved slower than it should have, and my legs felt way more tired than they should have. Loaded up 285 and tried to focus on moving the weight very controlled, good form, taking enough time between reps to really move the weight nicely. Slightly better, but again the set of 5 was just a little harder than it should have been. My original plan was to hit 315 for a really nice 5, and only do more if I was REALLY feeling good. So, I focused up and tried to hit 315 with a little more tenacity than the other sets, to combat the slow general shittiness. I focused on getting tight, treating the weight like it was a warmup, and really tried to take each rep as a single. I hit 5 fairly easy reps. Went for a 6th, and it was pretty shitty and ugly, with my weight shifting to my toes and the bar getting out in front. However, I couldn't let my last rep suck, so I hit a nice 7th, then a nice 8th. By that point my back was starting to go from having the weight on there, but I just couldn't settle for 8 knowing that's what I got last week, so I hit a 9th. It was absolutely the final rep - probably the closest I have come to just plain failing a squat in a while. But I made it. And even though a 10th certainly wasn't there today, it also was a rough day, AND I hit a couple less-than-perfect reps that took some energy away. Very happy with that set.


Next were speed deadlifts - 295 for 12 x 1 on the minute off of a single plate. These just didn't feel as great as they did last week. Maybe it's cause it was just a shitty day, or maybe it's cause of the crazy hard set of squats I just did, but they just didn't feel great. However, they were still moving REALLY fast - honestly, there may have not been ANY difference in speed from a "good" day, they just didn't feel like they were moving as well. Still moved really fast though. Need to be carful to keep that bar in tight to my shins, it still gets a tiny bit away from me at times.

Snatch grip deads were much the same as everything else - fairly solid, but not feeling quite as good as in weeks past. Hit 125 x 5, 165 x 5, 205 x 5, 245 x 5, and finally 285 x 5. Wasn't "easy," but certainly not hard. Hopefully in the next two weeks I will feel better and be able to smash 305 and 325 x 5.

Finally, a quick set of 40 crunches.

So, overall, a pretty good day. Deads moved fast, I hit what I needed to for snatch grip deadlifts, and I got a pretty sick PR at 315, on a day when I was feeling shitty and planning on taking it a little easier. Not half bad. Definitely going to take it a little easier on thursday, whether I want to or not. Lets keep at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment