Thursday, April 4, 2013

Strong leg day: squat 315 x 8

Today was a very solid legs day. I wasn't feeling amazing, but I worked hard and kicked ass.

Started with squats. Plan was to work up to a set of 8 today - if I was feeling good, go for 315, if I was feeling bad, just do 275 and save 315 for next week. I warmed up, hit the bar for a set of 8, then 135 for 8, 4, 225 x 8. Then went to 275 and hit it for a set of 4. Definitely didn't feel AMAZING, but fairly solid nonetheless, so I loaded up 315 and went for it. It was a very solid set. All in all, I would say the reps were a bit slower and less explosive than normal - probably a result of running, although I didn't feel as tight as last week. BUT I got all 8 reps, a pr. It wasn't even that hard - the 8th rep was REALLY ugly, I tried to make it really nice and overcompensated, getting caught way forward. But if it had been nice,  I feel sure I might have had another rep or two in me. Very happy with that heavy set of 8. Next week I'm going to back off, and then it will be time to push heavy for 4 straight weeks or so. I'm excited!

Forn squats went well. Again, I was a little slower and less explosive than normal, which affects front squats even more than back squats. But the weight still moves fairly nice. Hit a warm up set at 125, then 205 x 3, 230 x 2, and finally 255 for 3 sets of 1. All nice reps, a little slow, but overall quite easy.

Finally, threw the bar on the ground and assaulted my deadlifts for the day. Hit a set of 3 at 205, then a rep at 285, and a rep at 365 that were beautiful. Went straight to 405, and pulled it for 3 beautiful singles with maybe 5 mins rest maximum. All the reps were really solid. I taped the first two - back is almost completely flat, hips are staying pretty low throughout the movement, and the reps are smooth, without a sticking point. Really excited at how well these are going. Gonna hit this weight for at least another week or two before moving to 415, might play with limiting rest or doing another rep or two.


Overall, kickass day. My left knee is bothering me a little - I think my connective tissue is still just adjusting to running AND squatting, so it's a little inflamed. But overall, I'm feeling great. I'm excited to have a little bit of a back-off next week, and then go hard until my mock meet. I can't wait to DESTROY my goals! 405 squat is going to be beautiful if I can keep consistently having days like today and monday. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment