Wednesday, August 8, 2012

There will be squats

Made a decision tonight. Watching that video of my squats, listening to myself and people on TNation forums, and talking with Josh, I realize that I am still not satisfied with my squats. The changes I have made have made them far more athletic, explosive, and has made hitting depth much easier. However, my torso is still so far forward, I feel like I am definitely going to have problems in the future with heavier weights. It's just a matter of time.

So I made the decision that I am going to switch to a pure high bar squat. I love high bar squats. I think they are beautiful and that is the way that I want to squat. Moving the bar up on top of my traps will force me to squat with my torso upright. It will make me go deep and learn how to use my stretch reflex, improve my quad strength, and in time it will be completely natural and I will grow stronger with it. For years and years olympic lifters have squatted absurd amounts of weight high bar, and I will too.

So the plan is to make the change immediately. Based on my max today, my 5 week rep out is 255, my 3 week is 270, and my 1 week is 285 - I THINK i will be able to handle these numbers even with pure high bar form, but if not then I will simply drop the weight and work until I'm stronger.

This is the way I want to squat. Any hit to my strength in the short term will be well worth it in the long run. It will be a long road, and not easy. But one day I will truly be a master of squatting. One day.


No comments:

Post a Comment