Thursday, June 21, 2012

Triple squat

Had an interesting day today - physically it was pretty strong, mentally it was a little bit of a battle to keep myself in check. Generally, I push myself very hard (maybe even a little too much), and today I tried to control those urges and be satisfied with working hard WITHOUT feeling the need to kill myself.


Squatted up heavy. Felt pretty good, hit 135 for a few very nice reps, then 225 for a few nice reps as well. 275 was solid, but not moving very fast. Went up to 315 and again, it wasn't moving very fast but It felt very strong and my form was nice. I decided to jump straight to 335, and missed it pretty badly - I really didn't have a shot at it. I don't know if it was mental, or my form was off, or I just didn't have the strength today, I just know it was a bad miss. I'm a little bummed out, because I don't know what to do about this weight - my strategy of hitting 325 consistently worked, but now I don't know what's better, to continue hitting 325 and attempting 335, or to work on jumping right from  315 to 335? It's a little frustrating. ANYWAYS, I felt like that miss was kind of out of place and part of me wanted to try again, but I decided against it, and that if I had a lot left in me I would use it to fuel my triples.

Dropped back to 135. Because I tend to have form issues when dropping back from a heavy single in the 3's, I thought dropping REALLY light at first might help. Not sure how I liked it, might try again a few times. Hit 135 for 5, ten 225 for 3, 275 for 3, and finally 305 for 2. The second rep was INCREDIBLY slow, and took a LOT of toughness to finish. Racked it after that insane second rep, because attempting three would have been pointless. Again, part of me wanted to pisk the bar back up and try the 305 for another single, double, or even triple if it was there. But again, I talked myself out of it.


Dropped back to 135 and did my 5/3/1 front squats - 5 at 135, 5 at 160, and then amrap at 180, which ended up being 7. My legs definitely had more in them, but the 7th rep is where my back started rounding and my form wasn't as nice, so I stopped. My goal isn't just to get my front squat up, but to really work on my core strength/stability and make my form beautiful on these, so I'm going to continue to stop as my form breaks down, rather than pushing to absolute failure. Did another couple singles at 180 afterwards with nice form. I might try and continue to do that as well, hitting my final weight for a couple nice singles after repping it out.

Finished up with 3 sets of hanging leg raises.


Overall, I worked hard today, but was a little frustrated. Thursdays are tough; I don't see much progress on these days in general. My inclination is to keep pushing for new PR's, for one more rep, but I think the way I handled things today was good - I worked up to my limit for that day, and backed off without killing myself. It's not easy to do when you just want to WORK WORK WORK and see progress every single week, but I think it's the smarter thing to do and the better thing to do. I need to just keep coming in on these days, working really hard, and knowing that progress will come, even if it's slow. And know that forcing myself to work beyond my capacity for the day and fail isn't making me any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment