Sunday, June 10, 2012

400 meter intervals

Today was a fast day. After running that (approximate) half mile last sunday in under 3 minutes, I decided to (very leisurely), begin the pursuit of a sub 6 minute mile (my best time ever is 5:58, and I did that 30 pounds lighter and a hell of a lot weaker than I am now)


Started today with some 400's. My goal was to do 3 400's at 1:30 ish pace, and see how it felt. After warming up, I did the first one, which was no problem - even trying to pace myself, I ran the first 300 very fast and was able to slow down the last 100, coming in at about 1:28. It was pretty easy, So I thought I would try and do the next one at 1:25, and the last one at 1:20. I rested as much as I wanted, and hit the next interval, but wasn't really paying attention to my stopwatch, and ended up coming in at 1:18. Although I was working hard on this one, it still wasn't too bad - I would say about 90%. So I decided to just suck it up and go all out on the last one. Rested a shitload, then hit the last one coming in at 1:09. That's pretty awesome - first of all, it's a full 5 seconds better than a month ago when I did it  and considering I've only trained running once a week, fairly leisurely, that's not too bad. And second of all, it's only 4 seconds slower than my fastest 400 ever - 1:05 - done at about the same time as that 5:58 mile.


SO, bottom line is 400's at 1:30 pace are no problem at all. I'm thinking next week, if I feel up to it, I'll probably go for an 800 at around the same pace (3:00). We will see how it goes. And I'll just keep at this pacing, till I beat that 6:00 mile. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment