Friday, June 8, 2012

Bench and Overhead Press

Today was a pretty strong day.

Also, this is one of my favorite pictures of all time. Gorilla battle. 

Started with chaos and pain benching. I got rid of the timer on this after last week; the goal is just to get through all the sets. I'm going to continue to try and rest as little as possible, but the emphasis will be on not missing any reps. I hit the 190 x 9 x 2 pretty hard. I was very happy with how well the weight moved, and my pacing was on - when the second rep felt easy, I hit the next set faster, when it was hard I rested more. Only the last rep was a real struggle, and even that was solid.

Next was Overhead press. I had to hit 145 for 3 today, and to be honest I knew it was going to be a real challenge. I've never had to hit this weight on a day where I did a 9 x 2, only days when I've done 9 sets of 1, so I'm a little fresher. I was close: I hit 110 for 3, then 130 for 3, then got 145 for 2 reps and even got it over my head on the third... but my left arm just couldn't lock it out. I attempted 2 more times, but it was a lost cause. The 5/3/1 has DEFINITELY made my press stronger, and I know on a different day I could get that 145 for 3 - I got it for 4 last cycle. But I think I am going to reset my 5/3/1 for my press. I'm going to try and hit 150 next week, to tie my old pr (if I can do that after benching 200 for a shitload of reps, that would be pretty solid). Then, I'm gonna take the weight back so that 1 week is 140 or maybe even 135. I'll make sure I focus hard on doing those drop sets (after my big set) where I press the weight for reps from a dead stop, and rebuild back up to this point. Hopefully when I get here, the 145 will be easier and I'll me able to take a few more steps forward before I have to take a step back again. I'm excited to have another shot at some lighter weights.

Thanks Jim. You fucking Rule. 

Next up, Pendelay rows. These were pretty good. Last week I felt like shit doing these, and did them really sloppy, so this week I tried to be a LITTLE better about form. I did 3 sets of 10, and they felt better. I still feel these better when I do them without too much attention to form, but if I get too lazy they are worthless.

Did some dumbbell benching today. Did them a little different... Didn't really go to failure, did a warmup set with 45's, then 10 at 60, 8 at 60, and 4 and a half at 60. Then hit the 45's again for a set of 8 or 9. I'm starting to get bored with these. They definitely have their benefits, but I'm not sure I really feel they're worth doing, they feel like a filler movement right now. Don't know. We will see.

Finally, ended with some Kroc rows. The 110 is starting to get a little easy, so again I'm going to try and do them stricter, and only let form get sloppy to bang out some extra reps at the end. Did the 90 for 25 each arm and called it a day.

Don't care how many abs you have, NOTHING beats huge BACK!

Looking forward to squatting tomorrow, though I have to go in early. And its good that I could fuck up that 190 for the 9 x 2. Good shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment