Thursday, May 31, 2012

Great Squat Workout

Today was a great squat workout. Didn't feel my absolute best today, but I was smart about how I lifted and I worked hard, and it ended up being one of my best workouts in a while.



Started working up to a heavy single. Skipped 95, and did 135 for 8 or so, then 185 for 5, 225 for 3. These all felt okay, but not great. Went to 275 and hit it for 2 singles, both of which felt alright - they weren't particularly easy or fast, but not very hard either. Jumped up to 315 with the belt, and hit it for a hard, but solid single. Then I went up to 325, rested and psyched up a lot, and hit that for a hard single. That was definitely a max for the day, but I was very happy with that, considering that it was kind of an off day. I'm going to try and keep hitting 325 whenever I feel up to it, and once I've gotten that for a few workouts in a row, there will be a day when I rip 315, and then that 335 will be mine.

After that, dropped back to 225 to work up in triples. I'm not sure why, but I ALWAYS have trouble with form and position when I drop back after a heavy single. The weight isn't that hard, but my reps just feel sloppy and off balance which makes the reps a lot harder. I hit 225 for 3, then 255 for 3, then 285 - the first rep was okay, the second was REALLY sloppy and slow, and the third was better but very hard. I knew that I had more in me though, and that that 285 was only hard because of sloppiness, so I went up to 295 and went for it. My reps were a lot better, and although it was hard I got it for 3, and it wasn't even as difficult as the set right before it. That's pretty cool - I've only ever worked up to 285 for a set of 3 after the heavy single. As a matter of fact, 295 is the heaviest triple I've ever done. So that's pretty fuckin cool.



Last, dropped back again and did some sets of 3 good mornings. Did 185 for 2 sets of 3, then 205, 225, 235, and finally 245. The 245 was hard, and I lost my balance a bit on the last rep, but overall I'm pretty happy with that. I've never done good mornings that heavy, and doing it after all the squatting is cool. Finished up with some core work and god out of there.

Overall, an awesome day. That 335 is still elusive, but I'm just gonna make 325 my bitch now that 315 is my bitch, and in the meantime my rep stuff (both 5/3/1 and the heavy 3's on this day) keeps getting stronger. Lets keep at it.

FUCK. Why can't this be real and I look like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment