Friday, May 25, 2012

Great upper body workout

Today was a really good upper body day. I had to train in my home gym because Crossfit was closed, but It went really well. A great way to leave the gym for a few days as I rest and recover a little extra for mondays workout.



Started with bench. On tuesday, 195 gave me some trouble - I could only hit it for 2, when I was really hoping for 3 reps at the very least. So, I was looking forward to taking another crack at it this friday, and I was not disappointed. I benched it for 9 sets of 1, on the minute, with absolutely no problem. The first single shot up with no problem whatsoever, and even though it slowed down as the sets went on, I still felt like I had absolute control over the weight. It was awesome, one of the best bench sessions I've had in a while.

Next was pressing. I hit 115 for 5, then 130 for 3, and almost passed out haha. Don't know why, it was just in a bad place on my neck and I got crazy wobbly on the third rep. So I was a little nervous going for 145, but I ended up hitting it for 4 reps. That fourth rep was insanely slow, I'm not even sure how I got it, but either way that's pretty awesome - a PR at that weight, and considering my old press pr is only 150, 145 for 4 is pretty damn good. Also, rep 1 has been feeling better - I think the dead-stop work i've been doing after my big rep-out has been helping (speaking of which, I got 6 dead stop reps at both 130 and 115 afterwards)

One day, I WILL have a Klokov press

After such a good start to my workout, and considering I didn't have all my normal equipment, I decided to do things a little differently for the rest of my workout. I put 115 on the bar and benched it for 2 sets of 15, and then a set of 19. I focused on trying to make every rep as nice as I would a heavy single - I think I need to start focusing on this more in my 5 x 10's on tuesdays. I think I'm sacrificing control and range of motion to make sure I get through the reps, and if I rectify that I think it will help my bench a lot in the long run.

Finally, I ended with some strict pullups. Surprisingly, I was able to do 3 sets of 5 strict pullups. In the past, this would have been a VERY good day, and that was when I was regularly training strict pullups. It's good to know that my strict pullup strength is growing even though I am focusing mostly on kroc rows, kipped pullups, and pendelay rows. After the 3 x 5 I did a bunch of doubles and triples, then called it a day.

BACKKK BACK BAKKKKKKKKKKCCKKCKCKCKCKKC

Overall, awesome upper body day. Looking forward to some delicious cheat food and some rest, and then coming back hard next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment