Thursday, May 10, 2012

Heavy Heavy Squats

Today was a very heavy squat day. I felt kind of shitty for whatever reason today. My form was a little off, and I had a few sloppy reps that made me really mad. And, I just felt achey and tired all around, especially toward the halfway point of the workout. But overall it was actually a pretty solid training session, a lot better than I'm giving myself credit for.

This is how I feel right now

Started with a heavy single squat. Worked up through 225 for 3, felt pretty good but not very explosive. Did a double at 275 - first rep was good, but then the second rep I dropped like a fucking log into the bottom, with absolutely no tension whatsoever, and had to really fight to get the weight back up. I've been having success with sinking a little deeper into my squats lately, and using my stretch reflex to my advantage, but that only works if you don't fucking lose all tension when dropping into the hole. It was only one or two reps that I did this on, but it makes me angry that every single rep isn't perfect. I need to really focus on squatting quickly and deep, while still completely controlling the motion and never losing tension. ANYWAYS, hit 295 and then 315 for a solid single, and even though part of me wanted more I figured it would be better to call it there than to push myself on a day when I was feeling off and get really angry about missing a rep.



Next, I dropped back down to 225 to work up in triples, and this is where I started feeling really bad. The weight felt heavy, my form felt sloppy, and everything was moving really slow. I hit 225, 245, and then 265 for triples. I really wanted to get to 285 again, or at least do 275, but that 265 was so shitty and slow that I knew it wasn't worth going for any more weight. Its just a shame I didn't feel better, I really had fun two thursdays ago doing this workout, and I was hoping today would be like that.

The saving grace at the end of my workout was front squatting. Don't know why, but I felt like going heavy was the thing to do, so I did. I put on the belt, and hit 185 for a single, then 205 and 225, both pretty easy. 235 is my max, so I jumped to 245. I missed the rep, but it wasn't a bad miss, and honestly I would have gotten it without the mental and physical exhaustion. I hate to say it, but I told myself I would probably miss that rep even as I was stepping under it. But 235 would have definitely gone up, and considering how tough of a day it was, the miss didn't really bother me any. I was just happy with how smooth 205 and 225 were.



So, in the end I feel pretty shitty about todays workout, without any good reason: I squatted to a max back AND max front squat, on a day where I didn't feel great, and managed to get within 10 lbs of my pr on both. and even that heavy three wasn't too bad. So not a bad day. I just need to focus on making all my reps perfect next time I squat to try and dissipate the hate coursing through my veins right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment