Sunday, May 20, 2012

Heavy Squats + Lockouts

Yesterday was very busy, so I didn't have time to write up my workout. However, the workout went pretty well.

Started with heavy singles for squat. I decided to work up quickly. Instead of warming up the way I normally do (bar, 95, 135, 185, 225, 275, 295, 315), I jumped to heavier weights much faster, skipping some of the middle weights. I hit the bar, then 135, then 225, then 275. After 275, I jumped straight to 315 and hit it (the fourth heavy squat day in a row that I've hit 315). It went up easy enough that I went for 325 and sorttttt of got it - The sticking point was really hard, and I was really fighting to lock the weight out. My spotter had to help, but so little that I had to ask if he even did anything, because I couldn't tell. Even without "making" that rep, however, I'm pretty happy about getting 315 again, and this time making the jump straight from 275. Not too bad.



HOWEVER, that sticking point I have is really bad, and Is the reason why I've just barely missed 335 twice in the past week. So, after the heavy single, I dropped my weight back and did some squat lockouts from where I normally feel myself get stuck. These were great to do - only problem was that for whatever reason, my elbows and even my shoulders started aching REALLY badly from pulling under the weight in that bottom position. It sucked terribly. However, I really feel like these lockouts will help me get those squats that I've just barely been missing, and I'm going to try and do them every saturday that I workout for a while. But ANYWAY, I did 135 for a few sets to try and get the feel for the movement, then 185 for 5, 225 for 5, 255 for 2 sets of 5, and then 275 for 5. At first, I had trouble finding my balance and doing these right, but by the time I got to the 275, I was doing them very well and they were REALLY hard. That last rep at 275 was insanely slow and hard. BUT I locked it out. Which again, is gonna be the difference between making and missing 335.

Anyways, good day. I'm feeling a little beat up this morning, but I might still run. We will see.

I JUST WANNA GET THAT 335 ALREADY!

No comments:

Post a Comment