Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Three PR Bench Workout

Had an insanely good day today. This is my 7th straight day hitting a PR. Obviously I'm doing something right. My programming is on point, my 9 week cycles are working perfectly, and I'm getting so pumped for next week.

Started with 5/3/1 bench. My setup is so unique and weird on bench that the change in equipment always throws me off. However, I felt really good today, so that even though a few reps were a little wonky and weird, I was still blasting the weight. Warmed up with 95, 135, then hit 175 x 5, 195 x 3, and finally 220 x 3. That's an insane PR for me, and I'm pumped that I hit that. The third rep was TOUGH, but I still got it and that is awesome.


Next, dropped back to 195 for some paused work, and I was doing great at this too. Nailed it for 2 sets of 5, then on the final set I pushed and got 7 paused reps. That's a PR, and a LOT of paused reps at a really high percentage of my 1rm. Very cool. After, I dropped back to 175 and got it for a set of 10 paused reps, which is pretty awesome too.

Next, did some kroc rows, 2 sets of 30 each side with a 90 lb dumbell. These weren't as bad as last week hahaha, it was a nice break. Going to keep at these, but gonna also take my time increasing reps and weight.

I strict pressed a little differently today. Instead of going heavy where technique and speed are rough, I took 135 and hit it for a set of 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 reps. All of these reps moved very fast, smooth, and beautifully. Then, I did a 6th set where I repped the weight out and nailed 12 really nice reps. That is a PR, and a LONG time goal of mine. I really loved this way of approaching strict pressing, I feel like I got the best of both worlds - I was able to work on speed and technique, and also push myself to near failure and get a TON of volume in. I think I will keep playing with this approach, I liked it a lot. I can just keep bumping up the weight, do some easy sets to nail speed and technique, and then rep it out to try and get PR's. Cool.

Finally, I did some kipped pullups - a set of 10, 8, and 7. These weren't hard, just didn't feel like doing them really.

Anyways, an awesome day overall. I am stronger. Much much stronger than I was at the end of the summer. I'm so pumped to max out, but whatever happens I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and get stronger. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment