Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Bench Max (235)

Good day today.

Felt pretty good as I started to bench. Form felt a little wonky, but overall the weight felt light. Started my day off the same way I did with squats - slept in, hot tub, coffee, etc. Hit the bar for a few sets, then did a general warmup. Hit 95 x 2 sets of 10 paused reps, then started going. Hit 135 x 10, 185 x 5, then went to 215 and nailed it for a single. Here's that video, to compare to the 215 I failed at the end of August. And this was paused.



Originally, the plan was to go to 230 to get a pr - however, since I hit 235 last week it wouldn't have technically been a pr, SO I decided to go to 235. I was nervous - it was kind of a big jump, and I am NOTORIOUS for failing on bench max out days. However, I really nailed it. Here's the video. On my new camera as well.


Really solid. I'm a little bit unhappy with the way I let the bar sink into my chest as I pause it - I know it's not a huge deal, but I've been feeling that and thinking about changing it. now that I see it on video, I think it is something I am going to try and focus on fixing as I take my weights back. However, I feel sure this lift would be good in competition, and I am very happy with it. It moved so well that I jumped up to 245 and tried and failed it twice after. Second time, I used the belt which actually felt good. I think next time I will try and use the belt on all attempts. I decided not to this time, But overall I think it would help.

EDIT: I keep watching the video, and I'm very in the middle on the way that pause looks. I'm not sure whether it's something that needs fixing or if it's perfectly fine. Sometimes I watch it and it looks like I really let it sink into my chest and HEAVE to get it moving, and other times it looks just like any other paused bench that I see passed in competition. I don't know. Either way, working on pausing and keeping it from sinking in at all is probably not a bad idea. But I really don't think it's necessarily important?

SO big pr. 25 lbs since my last max out. That is some serious progress. I am on the right track. Gonna work on tweaking that pause, but aside from that I just need to keep doing what I'm doing, and I feel sure I will get my 255 at the end of next semester. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment