Friday, December 7, 2012

Redemption and distraction

Today's workout redeemed tuesdays workout, although in many ways it could have been more focused

Started with Chaos and pain bench, and it went really well. On tuesday, form felt like shit from the start, but today I really felt a lot better. The weight was moving very well - I slowed it down a little more than ideal speed, perhaps, but it helped make sure that the bar stayed in a nice path, and the weigth was really moving nicely. 10 x 3 at 195 was solid, and on the 10th set I repped the 195 out for 6 paused reps - 1 more than I got touch and go on tuesday. Really happy with that, makes me feel a lot better.

Next, overhead press went well too. Weight felt light, but again I was moving maybe a bit slower than ideal. hit 95 x 5, then work sets of 115 x 5, 135 x 5, and finally 155 x 5. Although that is only the required reps, that is still a huge improvement from this summer, when 155 was my 1rm. Pretty happy with this - I'll probably re-set 5/3/1for press as well after this cycle, and hopefully continue to be able to push ahead. Dropped back to 135 and hit it for 9 paused reps - I'm gunning for 12 soon, but after all the volume today I was okay with only 9 - and then hit 115 x 11 or 12 reps. Solid.

The second half of my workout, however, was less good. I was just distracted, tired out, chatting with friends, and generally not working hard. I did a bunch of different pulls - pendelay rows, rear delt flyes, horizontal pullups - and some dumbell chest press as well. Overall, however, it wasn't very productive. I think I just really put a lot of energy into the first two movements, so I'm tired by the end. Couple that with the fact that it's friday, and the second half of my training goes to shit. Not a big deal - I could probably use the extra recovery - but from now on I'm going to try and focus up a little better, and make that time productive.

Overall however, it was a great workout. Still making gains, even at the very end of these 6 cycles, which shows that my programming was spot on. I'm excited for the heavier work next week, and for my max outs - but i'm ESPECIALLY excited to re-set these weights and just keep going at it, day after day, and get huger and stronger. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment