Monday, December 10, 2012

315 squat for reps

Today was a very good day.

Started with 5/3/1 squat. Felt very good and explosive today on my warmups, was nailing 125. 205 felt a little wonky, so I took it for a second set of 3 before moving up. 245 x 3 was beautiful, as was 280 x 3. So, went up to 315. Took my time and tried to stay nice and calm and just move the weight like I would a warmup - step back, let the weight settle, huge breath, hips straight down and chest up. Ended up nailing it for 6 reps, which is a PR. My technique was really on point today too, which is awesome - I hit one rep (maybe 4?) that was a tiny bit forward, and on the 6th rep I let my elbows come forward and the bar roll on my back (which I think is just a bad habit when I'm tired and I know a rep is going to be hard). Still, overall it was a great set and a great PR.

This was inside my heart today. 

Next, speed deads went very well. the weight was 285 x 10 sets of 1 on the minute from a 2-plate deficit. The weight was moving REALLY fast. on sets 5-8 maybe, I got a little slow because I was tired and just attacking the weight a little less hard, but on the last couple sets I focused and brough the intensity back up, and really crushed them. This weight is cake, which is awesome. Hopefully I will be ripping 305 next week, and will be in prime position to hit a nice PR.


5 x 5 squat started out rough. I have gotten into the habit of just going straight from speed deads to my first work set, but that is ROUGH with 265 hahaha. I think next week I will do one warmup set to re-adjust to squats. Anyways, first and second set felt creaky, but the last three sets were moving very nicely. Even though I was tired, the weight was moving well so I decided to work up. hit 285, then crushed 305 for a beautiful and easy rep. Went up to 325 and figured if I destroyed it, I might give 345 a go. 325 was tough though - a very nice rep, and moved smoothly with no sticking point, but it was a hard rep and moved slowly, so I decided to call it. Pretty cool that I could hit that for a nice single AFTER everything.... but at the same time I sort of wish I hadn't worked up. I don't like that the 325 was a grind (even though I know it was after a ton of other stuff). Even though it was a great workout, 325 being tough (even though it was a nice nice rep) kind of put a damper on the session for me. Need to keep that in mind.
Grow legs GROW

No core work today. It's hard to make myself do it at the end of a heavy ass workout. I'll try harder thursday and next week, and then focus up on it again once I drop my weights back.

SO a good day. Nice squat PR, technique is feeling great and definitely getting stronger. Thursday is set to be one of the hardest training sessions I have ever done, but after today I feel like I can really kick it's ass. Getting down to the end here, really excited to move on to my next cycle. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment