Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Incredible Squat

Today was a great squat day.



Started with 5/3/1 squat. Warmed up, and forced myself to squat with my feet square. It felt like shit to do at first, but here's what I figured: Normally, the warmer and heavier I squat, the more square my stance gets on it's own. So, If I force myself to squat square on the warmup sets, it will help me get comfortable in the right positions and warmup faster, but then at heavier weights I can "not care," and I will still be working to fix the problem and my stance will be better at those heavier weights. ANYWAYS, hit the bar for a few sets, then 125 for a few sets, really focusing on sending my hips forward and crunching my hamstrings down onto my calves with my chest upright. Went up, hit 205 x 7 or so. Felt good, but a little loose. Focused up and nailed 255 x 5, and 290 x 3. Loaded up 325 and really focused on staying calm and imagining that it was still 125. I hit it exactly the same way as I hit the warmup weights and nailed it for a triple. That's a huge PR - I have only hit 325 once since changing my style, and I have NEVER hit it for reps. Awesome.

Next, demolished speed deads. 305 from a single-plate deficit for 8 singles, on the minute, went really well. The weight was moving fast with really no problem. I'm very happy about these - If 305 feels this good from a two - plate deficit, then I feel like I am going to destroy a PR when I max out.


Next, hit my 5 x 5 at 255. It felt really good. My stupid back was bleeding a lot, but I use this to try and cement that form shift - making sure to push my hips forward, torso up, crunch down and rocket up. After I finished, I decided to go up, and got into a really great rhythm. I kept calm, imagining the weight was 125, I would unrack it, step back, take a huge breath, and then push my hips forward and rocket out of the bottom. I nailed 275, 295, 315, and then loaded up 335 and nailed it for a very tough but very nice single. That's awesome: that's a 10 lb PR with my new style, and that's AFTER a ton of heavy work.

Finally, did a few sets of hollow rocks and a set of back extensions.



Overall, really very happy with this workout. First of all, hitting 325 for 3 is a great PR. Second of all, I've been wanting to hit that 335 for a while. And it's AWESOME to hit it after everything I already did that day. That tells me that as long as I keep my form good, I can nail 335 when I am fresh and max out. Add another solid month of hard training, and my belt, and who knows what my max will be when I test it? Either way, these are the takeaways from todays workout. 1) Treat the heavy weight like light weight. Stay calm and relaxed. 2) Do plenty of warmups to get form locked in. 3) walk the weight back, take a huge breath, and push my hips forward.

If I can make those things habit, I'm gonna crush big weight when I max out. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment