Saturday, November 17, 2012

Saturday Training

A little frustrated today, although it was a good day.


Started with pause squat. I wanted to record the whole training session, as I haven't video taped myself squatting in a while, but my computer died halfway through. which blows. Anyways, I was really happy to be able to pause squat again, and it went really well. Worked up to a moderate set of 5, hitting 95 x 2 sets of 5, then 135, 185, and finally 215 x 5, which was solid. Then I jumped to 245, and hit it for a set of 3, then 265 for a set of 3, again very solid. then I jumped and hit 285 for a very solid single, jumped up, and nailed 305 for a single. It was hard work, but the rep was really smooth and I was quite happy with it.

The frustration came when I tried to then hit that 305 for two un-paused singles. I swear, the weight moved better when I paused it, and it pissed me off. Those two regular reps were TOUGH, and slower than the paused rep and it's fucking annoying. It just basically felt as though, when I paused it, I then fired all my muscles hard and at the same time and was able to move the weight smoothly, but when I don't pause I have trouble firing as hard or at the right time, so that even when I have momentum and elastic energy out of the bottom, I get stuck at this weird sticking point. It just made me angry and frustrated, especially singe I am squatting this weight for reps monday and hitting that 305 for a pause rep should have been a HUGE confidence booster - but those other reps were much less easy and smooth, and psyched me out a little. HOWEVER, I have to keep in mind that I did all my warming up with a pause, and didn't really "grease the groove" as far as that transition goes. IF I had warmed up with regular squats maybe that weight would have moved easily, and it was simply the switch from pausing to regular at such a heavy weight that threw me off.

Anyways, two conclusions are being drawn from this. 1) On normal squat days, I need to REALLY focus on that transition. I need to pull into that bottom position almost as if I am goign to pause, and then at the last second just let the rebound happen and FIRE as hard as I can. Obviously, the fast that I can pause squat that 305 (very nicely) means I have a LOT more weight left in me for a regular squat. I just need to work on that timing and make sure that I am hitting that rebound and immediately driving up as hard and as tight as I can. So that will be a serious focus in all my warmups from now on. and 2) no more regular squats after the pause work. I should just have fun with the paused reps and take away confidence/strength out of the bottom from these workouts. Switching to regular reps at such a high weight just felt shitty and messed with my head. I need to clear my mind and just be ready to destroy mondays workout.



ANYWAYS strict pressing went very well. I didn't really warm up, just left 135 on the bar. However, I hit my light straight bar (about 30 lbs) for a couple sets to get my nerves firing fast,  AND I continued to hit that really light weight in between sets to try and keep me firing fast. It seemed to work well, I might try and do that more often. Anyways, hit 135 x 5, 155 x 2, 165 x 1, then smashed 175 x 1. It was a cake rep, so I decided to attempt 185 for the first time. I didn't really have a chance haha, it was a pretty definitive miss. It was worth trying though, because I really hit  175 hard. Immediately after failing 185, I dropped back to 135 and tried to hit individual reps as fast as I could, and ended up getting a set of 10 dead-stop reps. 10 is my touch n go PR, so that's really pretty cool.

Rep 10 was a true fucking grinder. Building those shoulders. 

Overall, cool day. Got a new pause squat PR, attempted a new strict press PR, and tied my press PR at 135 with paused reps. I'm excited for monday - before taking the last few saturdays off, I really felt pause squatting was helping my form. With a proper warm up and some serious work ethic, I think I'm gonna smash 305 for reps. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment