Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Strong Paused Bench

Today was a strong day, particularly for paused bench.


Started with 5/3/1 bench. Felt really good warming up, and nailed 160 x 3 and 180 x 3 with no problem. Had a little bit of a hard time with 200 however. I wanted 6 reps or more, and got a little nervous about the weight, and my form suffered. A lot of the reps were kind of shitty, and I only got 5. Still, this ties my PR at that weight so I can't complain too much.

After that set, I dropped back to 180 and chilled out, and this is where I really did well today. Hit 180 for 2 sets of 7 paused reps and a third set of 8, which is pretty fuckin awesome. The sloppiness on the touch n go was a little annoying, but those strong sets for Pause bench showed me that my strength is ever improving. I just need to chill out and keep form consistent. And also cut myself some slack, I'm not used to this equipment and it's freezing out.


Finally, repped 160 out for 11. Tried for 12 and failed. Not bad considering all the paused shit I did first. Maybe I'll just start pausing this too, honestly I might get more reps that way - I feel like much of my energy is spent stabilizing the bar after touching my chest, because I'm tired and not as tight. If I just paused the reps, I might do better. We will see.

Next, I didn't have heavy dumbells so I made my dumbell about 60-65 lbs and did a set of kroc rows,  75 each side. This hurt like a BITCH but I think it was good.

Strict press felt pretty good today. A little slow, I was trying to be explosive and it was just a little laggy today. Hit 95 for a bunch, 135 x 4, 155 x 2 which felt hard. But then I nailed 165 for a single, and hit 175 for a really nice single. Then, hit it again and it was ROUGH, really grinding on the lockout. Rested a lot, hit it a third time for an easier rep, and then hit it a 4th time for an even WORSE grinder, it must have taken 5 or 6 seconds to lock out. I attempted a 5th rep, but it was a not go after that last one. 5 singles at this weight would have been nice, but 4 is still the most reps I have ever done at 175 in a single workout. Maybe next week I will have 5 in me. Dropped back to 155 and hit it for a max paused set, hoping for 5. I got 4, which ties my touch n go PR at that weight. Not bad.


Finally, I did something different today. Speed work for pullups. I did 10 sets of 2, on the minute, alternating each set between pronated and supinated grip. It was pretty cool. I might keep this up - overall, I'm doing 20 pullups in 10 minutes, and maybe focusing on firing the right muscles really fast will do more for me than banging out max sets.

Anyways, overall a good day. Definitely getting stronger, although I fell a little bit short of a few goals today. Gonna try and keep pushing, harder and harder. Hit my arms tomorrow and rest up. Thursday squats are going to be a journey - I really think the change in my hip position might make a huge difference, but at the same time 305 for a 15 x 2 is gonna be a very tough workout. I'm excited. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment