Monday, November 19, 2012

Squat day from Hell

Today was miserable. One of the worst training sessions ever. That being said, took away some lessons from it.


First, 5/3/1 squats. This was awful. Here's what I have to say about it: I think it was a combination of things. First of all, I think I was just having a bit of a weak day. Some days you just aren't as strong as others. Second, my form was a little bit off on my heavy work today, which I'll talk about more. And Third, mentally I was just not all there today. I got psyched out and my head and my heart just weren't in the set. All of this added up to a miserable squat session.

Started with warmups. Bard and 135 felt alright, as did 205. 245 moved okay, although it felt a little bit heavy. 275 is where the problems started. The first two reps were okay, but felt a little heavy, but the THIRD rep was terrible. I got caught in a bad position, completely stopped moving, and had to fight to finish the rep. This is a weight that should have been cake. And it completely fucked me mentally. I got angry and upset, and psyched out. I decided to go up to 305 anyways, and just rested a lot and really attacked it. But my mind being screwed up, along with the physical softness were bad. I hit it for 3 but they were a HARD 3. I tried for 4, but it was a terrible rep and I literally grabbed the rack and pulled myself to standing rather than dumping. I was very upset and angry.


Speed deads however, went well. 285 for 10 singles from a deficit on the minute moved nicely.

Finally, I made myself do the 5 x 5 at 255. It showed me 2 things. First, it was pretty hard, which showed me that I must have just been having an off day physically because normally it is easier than that. But secondly, around set 2 I started focusing on pushing my hips forward and really dropping my ass between my feet. On my heavy sets, I was letting myself sit my butt back too far and letting my chest drop a little too much, which I think was hurting me a little. By reminding myself to push my knees out and my hips forward, I was able to maintain a much more upright torso. even though the 5 x 5 was hard, the reps felt much better than my heavy work, which made me feel better.


So, I'm going to try to not be too upset about this workout. It is frustrating that it was rough. However, I can't let it bother me too much. Bad days happen. What I am going to do: One, take a little more time and warmup right, and take a little more pressure off myself. I am still trying to find that balance between precision and intensity. Today, I was trying really hard to be intense and crush the weight, and it resulted in me getting psyched out and sloppy. And two, I am going to try and make sure I'm focusing on pushing my hips forward and sitting between my feet with my torso more upright. This keeps my squats more athletic and explosive, as opposed the the grinding that was happening today. And hopefully it will keep me in better position, so I don't get caught back or forward, which happened a few times today.

Bad days suck, but I just gotta keep pushing forward. Gotta be mentally strong and keep my form good. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment