Thursday, November 15, 2012

Horrendous Workout

Today was one of those workouts that makes you wish you never started lifting weights. That being said, I actually performed fairly well.



First was C&P squat. Warmups went really well actually, my last warmup being 265 x 4. went to 290 and hit it for 2 solid sets of 3, BUT I was moving maybe a little slower than ideal, so on the third set I tried to speed up the reps a little. Fucked up horribly - first rep was alright, but the second rep I rushed, got loose, and had to really fight through the sticking point. Then, On the third rep I got totally out of position and failed. I was PISSED. This was a weight that I was planning on handling very well, and I failed, for the first time in months on this type of workout. Re racked the bar, and started anew, re-doing the 3rd set. For the nest 3-4 sets, everything just felt like shit. I was pissed, my back wound was hurting, the bar felt bent, and my form felt like complete shit. But I fought through, and around set 6/7 I started getting back in the groove: I started keeping my chest up better, and was moving down very controlled, but a little bit faster so that I was catching the stretch reflex better. It was still fucking hard, but MUCH better triple in those last sets. Finally, on the 10th set I went after the weight hard, and got 5 reps. It doesn't completely make up for the fucked up sets from 3 - 6, BUT it's still pretty cool. Gotta take the weight a little more seriously next Thursday.

Next, front squats went well. 165 x 5 was cake, 190 x 5 was also very good. I was moving the weight well, hitting a nice bottom position, and getting a good stretch reflex out of the bottom. 215 x 5 would be tough on any day, and I was having a ROUGH workout, but I went after it hard. the first 4 reps were actually really nice. On the 5th, my upper back went pretty bad, so that I literally felt like I was holding the weight in my hands rather than on my chest hahaha. BUT I didn't give up and made the rep. It wasn't pretty, but that's still a really cool PR. Next month is supposed to be 225 x 5. If I can get that, that will be a HUGE improvement to my front squat. And after that, I will be slightly changing the way I approach these (3/2/1). Anyways, after 215 x 5 I hit 225 for an okay rep, 235 for an easy single, and then missed 245 twice. I know I have that weight on almost any day, but I'm so tired mentally and physically that it never seems to go my way. I really want to start hitting this with some consistency though, so I'm gonna really start pushing myself to get it.



Finally, heavy deads went well. Hit 245 , 305, then straight to 355. Hit it for a single that was really nice, not too slow and my back stayed nice and flat, which is pretty awesome at the end of a tough workout at a new heavy weight. Hit it again, but it was a lot slower and my back went a bit on this rep. Still, very happy with that. Hopefully next week will be even better. I was really beat up, and I had already been in the gym for 2 hours and 20 minutes or so, so I ended up skipping core work and just went and got some fuckin food.



Overall, This workout was HARD. Lately, my squat form has been on point, and the bad sets REALLY got to me today. However, in the end I pulled it together, got my form nice, fought through the workout and even managed some extra reps on that final set. Got a FS PR with that 215 x 5, and my belt-less dead is DEFINITELY getting stronger. Can't wait till I'm pulling 365 + every single thursday. Anyways, excited to be home for thanksgiving break. Gonna lift hard in my own gym, eat a shitload, and keep pushing. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment