Monday, September 17, 2012

Strong Legs

Today was a strong strong day.



Started with 5/3/1 squat. I was feeling a bit off today. I think I squatted too much this past week. It was taking me forever to get warm, and while I didn't feel BAD, I didn't feel great either. Hit the bar for at least 3 or 4 sets, then 125 x 10, 205 x 5, then work sets - 235 x 5, 265 x 3. Loaded up 295, and really tried to psych up for it. Hit it for three solid reps, then took a big breath and hit a 4th rep, which was ABSOLUTELY hideous. I lost tension and started going back down halfway through, then fought through and managed to lock it out. It was ugly. Still, 4 reps at that weight is awesome. First of all, it's ten lbs more than last cycle, AND I hit it for an extra rep. No matter how ugly, that = stronger. And stronger is awesome. I just need to be careful not to let myself lose tension on those later reps where I'm really working to hit the stretch reflex. AND, last time I had to rep this weight out on one week was over the summer, with my old style, and I got 5 reps. Granted, it was a rough week, but STILL, that means I'm right back on track, gaining back the strength that I had with my low bar style. Very exciting, very good.

Next were speed deadlifts at 285. I laughed at how fast the first one came up. Destroyed these - 8 singles on the minute, from a one plate deficit (about 1.5 - 2 inches). I'm so happy these felt as solid as they did. Interesting observation too - I actually feel faster and stronger if I shoot my hips just the smallest bit when I start the pull. But I'm going to keep fighting this through my speed work, try to keep my hips nice and low and rely on my leg strength more than my back strength as much as I can. Then, when the deficit goes away and I'm pulling for a max, my legs will be powerful and my hips will naturally be higher, making my deads a piece of cake.



Put up 225 and did my last 5 x 5 at this weight. It was no problem - although there was a rep or two where I lost tension and had to work harder than I should have. I don't know If I was just having a bit of an off day, but I need to watch this. Just like with the 295, when I work hard to hit that stretch reflex I have a bad habit of getting soft, so that I shoot out of the bottom but then get totally stuck halfway up. I need to get that stretch reflex and keep driving hard and fast. But anyways, easy 5 x 5, then I decided to do a few extra singles. Hit 255, 275, and then 305 for a hard single and decided to call it there.

Finally, Finished with 3 x 12 of hanging leg raises supersetted with back extensions. The HLR's actually felt awesome today. My abs are growing strong.

So, overall it was a great day. I'm going to try and back off squatting  a bit this week. Last week I squatted up to above 85% on wednesday AND sunday, in addition to mon thurs and sat hahaha. I think I need to give my body a little more time to heal. Gonna try to stick to just stretching and squats with 135 or less on those "rest days" to make sure I get through the end of this 9-week cycle healthy. I'm having fun and getting much stronger though, which is great. Lets keep it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment