Tuesday, September 4, 2012

PR day

Today was a great upper body workout. Despite being especially stiff this morning, I fucked my workout UP, and ended up hitting 4 PR's in upper body work.

First was 5/3/1 bench. Approached this calmly and confidently. Hit the bar for a few sets, then 95 x 10, then to my work sets - 135 x 5, 160 x 5, and finally, 180 x 7, a new PR at that weight. 7 was actually incredibly easy, and I went for 8, just BARELY missing the lockout - it sucks to miss, but still 7 reps is a PR, and that number 8 was RIGHT there, So I'm not bummed.



Next, went down to 160 and did some paused reps. I really tried to emphasize the pause on these, and played around with trying to hold the bar barely touching my chest VS. letting it sink into my chest a little. I think I prefer the latter, at least at these lighter weights. Anyways, did a set of 3, 4, and 3 of these. Then I dropped to 135, rested, psyched up, and hit it for one set to failure - and CRUSHED the number I got last cycle (14) with 20 reps. Not only is this 6 reps more than last time I did this, but it was a 3 rep PR as well. And all of the reps were very nice, except 20, where my shoulder got a bit loose while I was pushing to lock it out. So that was PR #2 of the day.

Next were Kroc rows. I used the hundreds today, and actually blended the grips, pulling it for 15 (kipped) reps with my palm facing in, and then finishing with 10 reps with the weight at a 45 degree angle, which reduces range of motion and lets me really hammer my back into submission. Gonna keep playing with this, I like this way the best so far out of all the new stuff I've been trying with these.



Next were overhead presses. I did NOT feel great warming up, and was a little nervous because of my weird shoulder, but I actually did great at these today. After hitting 135 x 2, I jumped straight to 150, not confident I would make it... and I crushed it. I then hit that weight for 4 more singles, without much rest at all ( I would say 2 mins or less). Then I took the weight up to 155, rested, psyched up, and CRUSHED that, even tried for a double (which was stupid, but hey why not). That ties my PR (#3 for the day), which I would say is pretty damn good after all that benching AND 5 singles at 96% or so.

Finally, ended with three sets of neutral grip pullups. Got 8 on the first set, which ties my dead-hang PR (#4) although technically I got 9 last time - I just kipped a little on the last rep. Either way, happy with 8 nice reps. Got 5 on the second set, and then 2 on the third. I was pretty fucking tired.

The greatest back of all time. Dorian Yates. Incredible. 

Anyways, great day. Excited to cheat and get some sugar back in my body. Feeling strong, having fun, eating well - lets keep it all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment