Thursday, March 29, 2012

Squats and RAGEHATE

Today was fucked. It SHOULD have been an awesome day, but I was a stupid asshole and didn't listen to my own advice. Here's what happened:

Speed squats at 185 were solid. My body was a little tweaky today; my back took a long time to warm up completely, and for the first time ever, my left shoulder was bothering me from squatting? it was a little weird, but overall my 10 sets of 2 were good and fast.

THEN, it was time to work up heavy. Because 275 (my working 1 rep) doesn't provide much of a challenge for a single or a double (last week I hit it for a set of 4 and a set of 5), I decided to squat up to 315 today. I hit 185 for 2, 225 for 2, belted up and hit 275 for a fast single, then went straight to 315 with the belt and hit that. It wasn't fast, but it wasn't super slow - a very solid rep. Which is pretty fuckin awesome. Essentially, I tied my PR after doing a bunch of shit before it that tired me out. That basically guarantees that I can top that 315 next saturday when I do my mock meet and I'm squatting fresh. So I could walk away from the bar today with a solid heavy squat and the knowledge that I can break that PR in the very near future.



HOWEVER, this is where the "stupid asshole" kicked in, and instead of just being happy with an awesome day and finishing up in a great ass-kicking mood, I decided that I was going to hit the 315 for another single. I almost got it too, but after about 3 seconds at the top of my sticking point I dumped it. It would have been awesome to hit it for 2 singles, and to give myself a break, I WAS really close. But I should have been fucking content with the great day I had already had, instead of getting greedy and failing a rep. Because, after that fail, I was completely done. Mentally, I was pissed, and physically I was totally burned out. My 5 x 8 good mornings at 155 were some of the most horrible reps I've ever done in my life. And then I finished the whole shitshow off with a shitty plank.

So to summarize, today really wasn't a bad day, but I should not have gotten greedy with that 315, because missing that second rep turned an amazing workout into an exhausting and frustrating workout. I really need to work on taking my own advice; Push myself, but don't be afraid to leave a little in the tank for next time. It's a fine line to walk. Hopefully I'll get better and better at it every workout.


Until that day though, a song to represent my complex emotions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment