Friday, March 2, 2012

Fucking PRESS

Wow this fucker is tan

Speed benching today was O fuckin K - not great, but alright. My elbows were bothering me a lot today, even before I started lifting, and that specific type of lifting makes them achey, so that was a bit of a bummer. But, the bar was moving pretty quick. 

The real highlight of my fridays (seeing as how me + benching = ASSSSSS) has been overhead pressing. I used to overhead press a ton when I was on pure 5/3/1, and I'm willing to bet a lot of my bench success had to do with the fact that my press was getting a lot stronger. Because of this, I have returned to doing 5/3/1 pressing on friday and it's not only getting stronger, but it's really fucking fun as well. Today, I strict pressed 125 for 8, which is pretty cool, seeing as how when I started a couple weeks ago, I only hit 120 for 6. Next week is 135 for max reps, so I'm hoping to get a new 5RM. We will see. 

Aside from that, heavy rows, dumbbell benching, and lat pulldowns all went really well. 

On a side note, I decided to make two changes. First, I'm going to go out a little wider on my heavy sets of bench, starting next week. I've been using a moderate grip, just because I think that it's a better way to train. However, I'm getting to a point where my bench has been stuck so long that I need to forget about ideal and start doing what works. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to move the heavy weight for more reps if I go with a competition - width grip, so I'm going to start doing that. However, I'm going to keep my 5 x 10 bench and my overhead press grip closer, to make sure I'm not neglecting my triceps at all. Hopefully, this change will help me rep out those heavy weights a little better, which will in turn hopefully help me FINALLY FUCKING PROGRESS. Dear lord, lets hope so. 

Wide, like this fucker. He's not tan, but he looks fucking strong

Other change: I'm going to add dumbbell overhead press to my tuesdays, between my bent over rows and my lat pulldowns. I don't know why the fuck i haven't been doing them already - they help make my programming symmetrical and (as I was saying before), I like overhead pressing way more than fucking benching anyways. I'm going to do them just like I do DB bench on this day - three sets to failure, 90 seconds rest, and up the poundage every month. Probably I'll start with 35's... but maybe not hahaha, I'll just have to try a weight this Tues and see how it feels. 


And that was today. Can't wait to fucking curl like a d-bag tomorrow. My elbows are SNAPPIN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment