Monday, March 19, 2012

First day back

Awesome gym day today. As I predicted, my mental strength was the only thing holding me back - today's workout HURT, but my legs are as strong as ever. Started with a big coffee, and then my warmup. Squat sets looked like this:

bar x 5
85 x 5
125 x 5
165 x 5
Work Sets
185 x 5
205 x 5
235 for reps (12)

The 12 reps at 235 were basically cake. I honestly don't see much reason to push myself past 12 reps on the heavy sets, which is why I racked it, but if I focused up and pushed myself i could have hit 3 or 4 more reps, without a doubt. The goal is to try for 12 the next two weeks as well: 12 at 250 without a belt, and then 12 at 260 with the belt. We will see.



After squats were speed deads. I've been doing the same weight on these for over three months now, so I was really ready to take it up. I decided to go up by 15 pounds on each wave - first of all, I think I can handle it, and second of all I think I NEED to push myself harder on the deads in order to keep that progress even close to my squat progress. Anyways, today was 215 for 12 sets of 2 on the minute, and it felt good. Quick and not terribly tiring.

Also, I do all my speed work from a deficit. Not sure if I've mentioned that before. 

Then, 5 sets of 10 with 155. The strain here was all mental. By the fourth set, my legs were hurting bad, but I manned up, threw on the belt and hit the last set for 15, so easy that I had to talk myself out of going for more. That showed me that I am PHYSICALLY capable of a lot more than my mind wants to do. I need to make sure to keep pushing myself, because I most certainly can squat any goal that I set my mind on. It's all about focus and toughness.

Finally, I ended with 4 sets of ten weighted sit-ups. I did one with no weight, one with a 30 lb dumbbell, one with a 35, and one with a 37.5.

All in all, it was an awesome workout. Im re-adjusting to the pain of training, and still making gains and getting stronger every workout. Can't wait to start working on bench tomorrow; lets hope it's even CLOSE to as good as today.

No comments:

Post a Comment