Monday, September 9, 2013

Squat 385 x 1

Good day today. A little disappointing, but it was still a good day.


Started with squats. Got a good warmup in, then started squatting. I was trying to be vicious and aggressive today, and my technique/positions were good, but something was just a little off with my speed and strength. the bar, 135 and 225 moved fine, then I hit 315 for a double. First rep was just a little slow down and slow up, second rep was a little better. Then I loaded up 355, belted up, and hit it for a REALLY solid rep, but again it was just a little slower and harder than squatting has been. Finally, Loaded up 385 and tried to give it 100% focus. Ended up hitting it for a really solid rep, but it was so slow and hard that I couldn't attempt a double. So, overall, not bad - it wasn't a great day, and I hit like 99% of my PR. Only 20 lbs off 405, so there is a good chance that, on a better day, I might have the magic 4-plate squat in the bag. But it was still a little disappointing - I really wanted to double this weight today, and it is frustrating to simply not be as strong as I wanted to. BUT, I also neglected my "speed work" last week, in order to hit that 20 rep PR,  so perhaps moving lighter weight fast and for reps this thursday will get me ready to smash 405 on monday.

Next, front squats were especially shitty. I was hoping to maybe try and push for a PR here, since I didn't get what I wanted on back squats. Hit 135, 185, 225, then smashed 275 for a single but then missed 305 three times. It was close every time, but just not quite there. that made me very angry.

Finally, did some deadlifts from about a 1-1.25 inch deficit, wearing the oly shoes. Worked up heavy - pulled 245 for a few, 325, 365, and then finally pulled 405 for a single with the straps. Tried to hit another rep but just couldn't, so I rested, went strapless, and hit it again. Actually feel really good about this, hitting 405 for a few singles, tired out, from a deficit, in my oly shoes, and beltless, without any real psyching up. Can't WAIT to finally test my deadlift again, that is gonna be a fun day.

Anyways, not a great workout, but not bad. I need to focus on thursday, and put in the work I need to to get my 405 monday - lighter weight, fast and beautiful reps for my squat, then lots of back work to build me up for when I finally do that max deadlift. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment