Friday, September 13, 2013

Bench 100+ reps, pull 100+ reps

Great little workout today. Kept the weight light and the reps high.

Started with benching. hit the bar x 20, 75 x a slew, 105 x a slew, 135 x 10, 165 x 10, 165 x 10, 135 x 10, 105 x 10, 75 x 10+, and then the bar for another 20. So more than 100 total reps. Felt decent, not great, shoulder was a little tweaky unracking, but I am getting back to 100%.

Next, cable rows. Used the widest attachment, and used the neutral grip. Loaded up 100 lbs and did 5 sets of 20 with limited rest. These felt GREAT. They are so easy to do, not super heavy or tough, but they made my upper back explode, my shoulder and elbows feel better, etc. I NEED to be doing simple, effective back training like this - tons of reps, lighter weight. EVERY time.

So, overall a good workout. I am finally feeling better. And I feel like I learned a really great lesson from this: I NEED to tone down my workload. I have been having a ton of fun training the way I am, but I simply got to a point where I was pushing myself too often. I need to push HARD on my max effort movement on monday and tuesday, but then do some lighter, gentler assistance - no more max front squat and THEN max deficit dead after lol. Heavy Main lift, lighter assistance work. And less overall movement, even on upped body day. Then, Thursday/friday I REALLY need to keep the weights lighter, and focus on speed and technique, not on smashing my body down. Then, again pick important assistance work, and I'll have a little more juice to go a LITTLE heavier on it. If I am a little smarter and don't push so hard, I should be able to KEEP PRing, instead of simply PRing, then burning out immediately after.

So, for this weekend I'm gonna eat, sleep, and stretch, and do my best to be recovered for monday. I still want to push to a heavy single monday/tuesday and try to PR. Obviously that will depend how I am feeling, so we will see. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment