Monday, June 24, 2013

Squat 305 x 5

Interesting day today. I have a lot of thoughts.


Started with 5/3/1 squat. Warmed up quite a bit, then got started. Didn't feel great today. Not bad, but just not very good. Hit the bar, then 135 x 5, then 185 x 3 just because the jump to 235 was a little too awkward I felt. Then loaded up 235 and hit it for 5 - it felt kind of heavy, but there were a couple really great reps at 235 where my form was just awesome. However, went a bit downhill from there. Loaded up 275 and hit it for 5, which felt alright, although form was a little wonky on a couple reps. Finally, loaded up 305 and got after it. It was a pretty bad set honestly. I don;t remember a single rep feeling great. They were a little slow and hard, but mostly my form was just crappy. I was a bit forward on multiple reps, so that I was pushing the weight up with my quads and then having to finish with my back because the bar was out in front. And then the 4th rep I got so out of position and soft that I got caught at a sticking point, really had to grind through, and then had to rest for a few seconds at the top just to make sure I got rep 5. If I'm being honest, I would say I had another rep or more in me if I NEEDED to get them. But I did not feel good after that set. I thought about it, and this is what I think is going on - I am psyching myself up too much, and trying to move each rep fast and easy... and instead my form is just getting shitty, which is making the set HARDER, not easier. A couple weeks ago, I was feeling really sluggish and weighed down on mondays, and because of that I decided to start taking a more aggressive attitude toward the weight. However, what I need is more FOCUS and intensity, not aggression. I think aggression has just been working so well for deadlift, that I let it spill over into my squats. But that has never worked well for me - staying calm, treating the weight like it is light, being methodical and precise with my squats has always been the best solution. I think today I just tried to hard to make the weight feel easy, and as a result I rushed reps, got out of position, got soft out of the hole, etc. I'm not trying to be fast and aggressive cause it makes me squat better - I'm doing it cause mentally I don;t want heavy weight on my back for long lol. SO, I think the solution is simple: sack up, relax before the heavy lift, and do what has always worked best - treat each rep like a single at 135. Sure, the unrack might be heavy, sure the set might take a little longer. But all that matter is that I a) get every rep that is programmed, which should not be a problem, and b) I keep my form beautiful. And right now, that's not happening. SO, I'm gonna try and simply be more precise thursday (although I have to cut myself some slack with the high rep shit), but ESPECIALLY on mondays.

Anyways, next up pause squats. Hit 275 for a triple with long pauses, and then 235 for a set of 5, on the 3 mins. Both felt pretty solid, although tough after the heavy set of 5. Still, raw power out of the hole seems to be improving... another reason why I need to stop rushing reps and just be more precise.

Next up, speed deadlits were great. I'm loving these, because I really CAN just let loose and get as aggressive and insane as I want haha. Basically, the angrier and crazier I am with these, the faster the pulls. 12 x 1 at 275 on the minute was cake. First rep was a bit slow and tough on the back, but after that I started to get as psyched as I could and just be focused, intense and aggressive. I was ripping the weight. Somewhere around 9 or 10 I got a tiny bit out in front for a rep or two, but then focused and got rigth back into position. Last rep I truly gave everything I had - it's insane the place I can go in my mind if I have enough focus. It's meditative and otherworldly. I got to that place on rep 12, and I swear that rep wouldn't have been able to move faster if it was 135. Really having fun with deadlifts, and I think I am seriously increasing my power with them.


Finally, snatch deads went well. 5 x 7 today, instead of 5 x 9, on the 2 mins with 215 on the bar. These weren't super hard, but definitely tough. One interesting thing - I really felt the switch from it being tough aerobically - I was winded and exhausted from moving light weight a bunch of times - to being tough on my muscles. I wasn't breathing as hard or feeling like I was crossfitting today, but I started getting some serious burning and exhaustion in my ass muscles especially. I'm pretty happy about that! With the emphasis I have been putting on quads lately, squatting with a more forward upright position, really focusing on my quads breakign the bar on deads, and the front squatting - I have been worried about neglecting my PC, but I think these snatch deads will really help keep my back, butt, and hamstrings growing. I'm curious to see how much tougher this part of my workout gets as the weights increase.

So overall an interesting day. Squats were very frustrating, disheartening and not fun at first, but the more I think about it, the easier the solution seems - yeah squats might feel hard and heavy, I am putting a TON of energy into other stuff, losing weight and eating less! But if I just stop trying to make them feel easy, and instead focus on precision and just getting the reps I need to, my squat workouts will be exactly what I need them to be. Deadlifts are fun and amazing, snatch deads as well. I just need to keep eating right and working hard, and I am going to get so strong and lean and look and feel amazing. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment