Thursday, June 13, 2013

Squat 135 x 30

Painful day haha. Felt good though.


Started with squats. Warmed up a ton, even though I was feeling achey and tight today (probably a combination of the rain and running yesterday) I got nice and warm. Hit a set of 10 and then 5 with the bar, and then got right to it - loaded up 135 and hit it for 30. Overall, it was a really good set. Form was good. It hurt pretty bad, but I made it no problem. Definitely could have been worse, and it definitely is going to get worse haha. I think I underestimated the pain to come in the next few weeks. Legs got so pumped. But even when the reps got hard mentally, they were fast, smooth and easy.

Rested a good bit, then got on front squats. These are really hard with the limited rest - did them on the 2 mins - but very solid. I just need to work on keeping my elbow up and my back a little tighter. That is what suffers most. Hit 185 x 2, 215 x 2, then 235 for 3 x 2. I could have been tighter out of the hole, and I could have kept my chest up better, but overall they were easy and nice reps for what they were.

Finally deadlifts went really well. I made the unfortunate and stupid mistake of not wearing pants today, which meant the bar was sticking nastily to my thighs which both hurt and threw me off. Without meaning to, I pulled a few reps a little out in front to avoid the sticking, and since that is already a problem with my new form/setup, that wasn't ideal. However, even on the less-than-perfect reps I was ripping the weight. Worked on being really focused and aggressive with my pulls, and the weight was moving fast and easy. Plus, on reps where I did keep the weight back and it didn't get caught on my thighs, I felt awesome. 8 singles on the 2 minutes were all fast and easy. I'm excited to keep pushing these up heavy. They might start to get tough with the crazy squatting that is going to go on, but I'm gonna focus hard and try and keep crushing these pulls consistently.


So overall, really good day. I am excited and nervous about these high rep squats - I think they are gonna HURT, but they are also really going to pay off in terms of strength, size, and work capacity gains. And I just love deadlifting now, I look forward to it every workout. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment