Thursday, June 27, 2013

Deadlift Cure

So, I thought it through and I think it's a pretty quick fix.

Basically, I think the major flaw is simple: My biggest cue deadlifting has been to bring my shins to the bar and as soon as they touch to explode up with everything I've got. Problem is, with all the hyping up I have been doing, along with the fact that I am intentionally trying to use my back (which basically feels the same whether you are round or flat), I didn't realize that I was following the cue... but not doing what it is supposed to make me do! Bringing my shins to the bar is supposed to get my hips low and then I should squeeze my chest up and explode with everything I've got. Instead of doing that, all I was really doing was bringing my shins to the bar, but rounding my lower back to do so. Chest wasn't being pulled up, hips weren't coming down, and so I was pulling with a lower back.

Pulls have been feeling amazing because my bar path is short and a perfectly straight line, I have been using my back, and giving each pull everything I have got. But I think keeping my hips lower and my back flat, I will still be able to keep all of those good things, and just be pulling in a way that is 1) safer, and 2) more sustainable. All it will take is a little more focus and attention to my form. Might feel a little weird and slow at first, and I need to be prepared for that, but I think I can keep all of the good and get rid of the bad with just a simple change.

Basically, Keep the intensity and agression. Keep the hook grip and the tight and tiny bar path. Keep loading the back. Just get those hips lower instead of rounding the lower back. Think Eric Lillibridge. Lets watch a vid


I think I just need to make sure that when I bring my shins forward, I am dropping my hips and pulling my chest up and my back as tight as I can. Otherwise, I'm using too much back and it's in a bad position. Lets work at it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment