Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Stronger Bench: 210 x 6

Today was a great workout. I don't know if it was just a good day, or if my changes to my pressing training are kicking in already, but I did great today - especially considering that yesterday was the first day in a longgg while that I intentionally ate less food and sugar.

Todays picture theme: Shredded ass dudes for inspiration

Started with bench. Took my time warming up. Also, I tried to emulate my bench setup in my home gym, by pushing myself LESS far back on the bench before pulling myself through to set my arch. I think I have been exaggerating the setup a little too much. Anyways, warmed up, hit the bar, then 95, then 135 x 8. Then went to 165 x 3, which was nice. Had a long weird break after that set, because I was helping coach a kid, so 190 felt a little bit off - however, by the way the third rep felt, I knew I had way more in me. Finally, went up to 210 and hit it for a set of 6, which is a HUGE 2-rep pr. The 5th rep was just so solid that I knew I would have a 6th - it was REALLY tough, but I got it. Definitely really happy with this, I'm not sure If I ACTUALLY got stronger already from the rep work haha, or if I am simply learning better how to control the weight and keep tight when the reps get tough. Either way, really happy with this PR.

After, dropped back to 190 and hit it for 3 easy sets of 3 with a long pause on the first rep. After the 210, this weight felt like no problem at all.


Next, I didn't feel like doing dumbell rows so I did some rear delt flyes with my chest supported on an inclined bench. And holy shit, these were a lot harder than I ever would have thought. I did 3 x 15 with 10 lb dumbells, and my back was pretty toasted by the end.

Then, strict press went very, very well. I hit the bar for a set, then 115 felt very good. Loaded up 155, and managed to nail it for 3 sets of 7, which I was not expecting at all! First set wasn't easy, but I might have had an 8th rep if I pushed. Second set was tougher, with the 7th rep being hard but solid. However, the third set was better than the second, with 6 really nice rep and a very solid 7th. Really happy with that, it shows clear progress in just one week. Next tuesday, I guess I will push for 3 sets of 8. Even if I can only get one, that will be a PR, and if I'm lucky it will be more than that.

Finally, did 3 sets of 10 kipped pullups. Gonna keep working till I can do a set of 30 straight.


SO, overall it was a kickass day. Making some really great progress. Gotta keep working. Also, gotta keep putting mass on the upper body - I think I might turn the end of fridays into a mass-building, fun workout, instead of the stupid "one extra pull and one extra push" thing I do now. Just do bench, press, pullups, and the lifts to get swole. It will be more fun and probably better for my bench than the other dumb stuff I'm doing. Anyways, excited with this progress! Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment