Thursday, March 7, 2013

Great squat: 365 x 2, 375 x 1

Had a great leg workout today. Despite not feeling well this morning, I pulled it together in the gym, worked hard, and kicked some ass.

Started with squats. Warmed up nice and slow, got the blood moving. Hit the bar for a few sets, 125 for 10 and then 6, then 205 x 8. hit 265 x 4, didn't feel great but not hard either. For my first set of 2, took 295, which felt better - solid, smooth. Went up to 325 and hit it for a really nice, focused double. So, I jumped up to 345 (more weight than I have ever repped out), and threw on the belt. Moved it for a really nice double, and made the jump to 365 (my old 1rm). Focused up a lot and hit THAT for a double, which I was crazy happy with. Finally, for the 5th set I took 375 - made the first rep, but missed the second. Even so, 375 is a new PR, and that is INSANE after hitting that 365 x 2. Really happy with  all of this, not much more I can say. Clear and beautiful progress. I just need to keep doing what I'm doing, because it is definitely working. Here's some videos.




Next, front squats were a total joke after that weight on my back. hit 205 x 3, 225 x 2, and 245 x 3 single like it was nothing. Only complaint is I could have moved faster down/up, but I'm sure that will come when I finally do them rested up haha. Can't wait to max them out next week.

Finally, deadlifts went great as well - again, impressive considering what I had just done. Smashed 205, 285 and 345 for warmups. Then, RIPPED 385 for the first rep, and made the second two reps as well with a flat back - not nearly as fast, but still made them. And, I think if I had more time to rest I would have been able to move them faster. Really focusing on "pete rubish"-ing my setup is making me move that weight so much better. Just gotta keep focusing on pulling into position really fast and tearing that weight off the floor. Next cycle, I think I'm going to start going 205 - 285 -365 -395. I want to start working on hitting those bigger jumps, to get me ready for when I finally max deadlift in May. I think it would be good, in may, to go 135 - 225 - 315 - 365 -415 - 455 - X, to ensure I am fresh to attempt 455.

So, overall, insane progress. Really proud of myself this past week. Lets hope tomorrow isn't TOO miserable haha, and then rest up so I can kick some ass next week! Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment