Friday, March 22, 2013

Solid but slow day: Bench 185 x 3 x 8

Today was a solid day, but a little slow. Maybe it was cause I was catching up with jerome and a little unfocused, or maybe it's cause I was out drinking last night. Either way, very solid workout, stuff just felt a little heavier, slower, looser than normal.
on a side note, Simeon Panda has one of the sickest physiques

Started with bench. Hit the bar for a big set, then 95, then 135, then right up to 185. First set of 8 was good - not GREAT, it felt a little heavy at first, like I maybe needed to be a little warmer, but I got through all 8 paused reps no problem. Second set was much better. Focused up and moved the weight a little faster and smoother, and got 8 no problem. Third set Was also solid, although lockout was a little tougher - hit 8 reps, then did a long pause and ground out a 9th rep. Pretty solid! Need to keep focusing on moving the weight fast. but I think I will be up to 3 x 10 at this weight pretty quickly if I keep working at it. Definitely felt my chest working, and I really hope this works as well for my bench as it has been for my strict press.

Speaking of strict press, 5/3/1 was next. Hit the bar and 95 as warmups, then 120 x 5, 140 x 5, and 155 x 7. I didn't feel all that great on these today, they were just moving a little slow - quite possibly because  this sort of benching is more tiring on my muscles than what I was doing before. Either way, 7 isn't BAD - it ties my PR, and to be honest it was a tough seven, but MAYBE I had another rep in me. I wish it went a little better, seeing as how I'm working at getting 155 x 3 x 10. BUT, can't rush these things. Anyways, hit 140 x 10 on my first backoff set, then 120 x 8 to finish it off.

Next, put 155 on the bar and yates rowed it for 2 sets of 16. Solid.


Finally, Jerome wanted to bench, so I jumped on it with him and did a few high rep sets - 95 for 20, and 115 for 20. Not bad.

SO, nothing too crazy today. 185 x more than 3 x 8, and 155 x 7 are both nice. Hopefully, all this volume will start paying off soon and I'll break some plateaus and some PR's. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment