Thursday, July 5, 2012

Squat strength

Strong day today. Very strong.

HUGEEEE

Started with heavy single squat. I felt like shit today, but my form was feeling good. I hit 135, 225, then 275 for 2 singles. Then 305 with the belt, then 315, then 325. All these reps were great. Very controlled on the way down, and tough but strong on the way up. Loaded up 335 and hit it for a tough but very solid single, and decided to go up to 345. I missed the rep, but it was a very good miss. I controlled the weight on the way down, got nice and low, made it about halfway up (to my normal sticking point), and then had to dump. But I had a fighting chance, and it was a beautiful rep, which is good.

Next, dropped back to 135 to get my beltless form feeling nice again, then worked up in triples. These felt really solid today - again, hit 225, 245, 265, 285, and finally 305 for a triple. This felt better than last week, which is impressive considering the miss at 345.


Next was 5/3/1 front squat. hit the bar for a few, then 145 x 3, 170 x 3, and 190 x 5. I'm trying really hard to do every rep perfectly, and to call the set once my form starts to go AT ALL. These are progressing so slowly that I'm sure I'll be able to really help out my front squat with this strategy, over the course of the next 6 months or so. After the rep out, I hit the 190 for 3 or 4 more singles, which I plan to do every week to help cement good form in my mind.

Finally, did 3 sets of hanging leg raises. Worked on really controlling the movement and not using any momentum. These made them harder, but I felt like I was working my core much better, and they are still fairly strict.

Master of littlehuge

Great workout. I worked hard, my squats feel awesome, and I am going to keep pushing these next three weeks to try and get all the extra pounds I can before my break. I'm getting excited to truly max out - in just about 5 weeks! Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment