Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Goals: Ten years out

Just wanted to take a minute to write down some things I've been thinking about. I think it's time to write them down and make them a little more official.

The first is about the WAY I train. I love powerlifting and training specifically for strength; I think it's better than any other kind of training. HOWEVER, the other day I was reading a Dave Tate article that I thought was very interesting. He said that one HUGE piece of advice he would give to lifters is to, once you have reached a certain level of strength, train more for bodybuilding for about 8 months of the year, and the powerlift the rest of the year. And honestly, this makes a lot of sense to me. Training for strength day in, day out, is goign to take it's toll mentally and physically. By splitting your year, you will be more excited and fresher mentally when you lift, AND it will make you a better athlete all around - big, muscular, and very very strong. The numbers Dave Tate suggested you think about the switch at were 2 x bodyweight squat, 1.5 x bodyweight bench, and 2.5 x bodyweight deadlift. And I honestly think I will do this, once I hit those numbers. Obviously, that is still a ways away - but I'm thinking that once I get there, I will switch my training 6 months of the year to higher rep serious bodybuilding training, and the other half of the year I will train in heavy sets and try and make the extra muscle I put on as strong as possible. I'm not sure whether doing 6 months of each would be best, or doing 3 months cycles (bodybuild, powerlift, bodybuild, powerlift). I'll have to think about it more seriously once I hit those numbers. However, I think that this is an awesome method of training, and something I'm going to be thinking about seriously as I get stronger.

Secondly, I was thinking about myself, 10 years from now. I will be 30, which is just about the peak of my strength/lifting career, and I was thinking about where I want to be then. I think looking at myself ten years down the line will help keep my focus away from the difficulties of each individual workout. So here goes: By the time I am 30, I want a 2000 pound raw total at 242 or under. This would require (rough numbers), 700 squat, 500 bench, and an 800 dead. These are insane numbers, but I know that I can get there. With the amount of knowlege that I have already, and the time I have to learn more and to work hard, I will achieve this goal. The current raw record at 242 (the heaviest I would be) is 2080. Even if this is broken a few times before I turn 30, the record will be within my reach. A few more years of smart training, and it can be mine.

It's a long way away, and a world record is a huge goal. But I will get there. I know I will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment