Thursday, January 9, 2014

Front squat 245 x 10

Good front squat day today. Definitely still a little sore from Monday, so not 100 percent, and front squats belt less are really much tougher for me than back squats belt less. However, worked my ass off which is the major goal, and I think my core, quads and back are gonna make some serious gains because of today. 



Started with front squat. Warmed up, hit the bar for a set of 10, then loaded up 95 and worked up with 25 lb plates from there. Didn't feel too bad, but sets of 10 with front squats is very hard - just holding the weight that long is such a bitch, even 95 isn't cake. Hit 95, 145, 195, and finally 245 for sets of 10. 245 wasn't easy - my back especially was giving out towards the end - but it also wasn't super hard. I dropped back to 95, and decided to work up a little heavier this time, and with lower reps. So I hit 95 x 8, 185 x 8, then finally 275 x 6. I really wanted 8 at 275, but I was really tired out by that set. My core and upper back were completely giving out on me, so I called it at 6. I actually tried to go up to 315 for a single afterwards, and unfortunately failed that - again, just too tired out. Overall, however, I worked my ass off and actually hit some belt less Pr's, in addition to just hitting an assload of front squats. 

Next, dropped back to 225 and hit it for long-paused singles every minute on the minute for 10 minutes. These wrecked my middle upper back after all the shit I had already done. 

Next, did some deficit deads, pulling from a dead stop with a HUGE emphasis on hips super low and pushing with my quads. This is part of my two - part plan to smash my next heavy desdlift session haha - on the one day, focus on pushing with the legs to get in the habit of keeping good position, and on the other day do straight leg "damage control" stuff so that I can lock a heavy dead out, even in a bad position. Anyways, I didn't realize how tired my quads were until I started doing these. Hit 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5, and then 405 x 3. I might have been able to push the set at 405, but I have only ever pulled that for 3 once, and this was from a deficit, AND it was after a really grueling front squat workout. 

Finally, hit 3 sets of 15 back extensions to finish off the lower back and the butt/hamstrings. 

Overall, awesome day. Didn't perform quite as well as I would have ideally liked, but that is fine - I pushed myself really hard. And I'll do the same next week, reach for some PR's, but whether I hit them or not the hard work alone is gonna make me grow. Then, when I throw on the belt and sleeves.... I think some big numbers might be in my future. We will see. Lets keep at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment