Friday, May 31, 2013

Tester Workout


First workout back today went well. Definitely didn’t feel great, a little tired, slow, stiff, and definitely not crazy strong. But decent.


Started with paused squats. Did a fair amount of warming up, and mixed in regular squats with the paused stuff just to feel out the movement as a whole. Hit a set with the bar, then 8 at 95, 5 at 135, 4 at 185, 3 at 225, 2 at 255, then a single at 275 and a single at 295. It was a pretty tough rep – I felt pretty confident that I had another 10 or so lbs in me, but there was really no point in pushing there, so I called it there.

Next, benched up heavy. I was playing around with technique, trying to set up differently than my normal setup, and I don’t  know how I liked it. Felt a little weird and unstable, but my feet were definitely more straight than normal. Maybe I just need to find a better hybrid setup. Anyways, bench definitely felt a little weak and sad. Hit warmups with the bar, 95, 135, 185, then a single at 205 and 225. Felt pretty tough and slow so I called it there. I think I am going to keep my setup the same, and just focus on straightening my feet.

Next, hook grip deads. Again, these felt a little slow and shitty. Not sure if the hook grip throws off my form, or if my form was just a little off because I haven’t pulled in like a week and a half. I think perhaps I will have to play around with the same grip-it-and-rip-it mentality, but with a little bit of a more static setup if I am going to pull with a hook grip. Anyways, pulled 135 and 245 easy, 315 was a bit slow off the floor, same with 365, and 405 was just a pretty slow, tough rep. But, the grip was fine. I think I will just have to figure out the setup with the new grip, which should be very easy with all the lighter pulling I have for the next bunch of weeks.


Finally, strict press was kind of the worst haha. Just didn’t feel great. Pressed the bar, 95, 135, and then 165 for a double, and called it there.

So, nothing special today but a good first day back. Gonna do arms and stretch tomorrow, and try and get my body ready to go hard Monday! I’m excited. Today definitely wasn’t amazing, but I need to just focus on the changes I’m making – slight form tweaks on bench and deadlift, and then just focus on ripping through my workouts, eating and living well, and losing all this extra fat. Lets keep at it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment