Thursday, May 2, 2013

Legs: squat 345 x 4

Today was a tough day. Last slew of workouts have been very tough - probably a combination of me drawing to the end of my programming and needing a rest, and the stress and sickness holding me back a little bit. Either way, I have been delicate and smart with my training, and thusly haven;t had a TRULY awful fail day yet haha. But no matter what, I need to keep my chin up and soldier on. I'm almost at the end!

I desire this man's legs 

Started with squats. Using 345 as my top set today allowed me to practice the way I'm gonna warm up when I max, except instead of just hitting 345 for a single with the belt and then going heavier, I just hit it for a set of 4. Started with the bar x 10, then 135 x 10, 6, then 225 x 8, then 275 x 4, then 315 x 2. Didn't feel great, but not too bad - basically, I felt like a much better version of monday. Just a little bit slow, a little creaky, not very explosive out of the bottom or very fast through the middle. Definitely not a great day, but not a bad day either. I took 345. First 3 reps were pretty much exactly the same - tough but very solid. 4th rep, I got a little bit out of position forward so it was harder and slower than the others. However, I think it was really only hard cause it was a little crappy, not cause my strength was going away, and if I needed to I think I could have taken a crack at a 5th rep. Not as easy as I might have liked it, but I think it's pretty cool that I can hit this kind of weight for reps on a mediocre day.


Next up, front squats. Hit 190 x 3, then 225 x 3, and finally 245 x 3 x 3. These were tough, definitely one of the hardest front squat sessions I have done, but I'm pretty cool with that because this was the single workout that I was the most worried about. 245 was more than I could do a single with, with the belt, when I started this, so hitting it for 3 triples definitely had me nervous, but I stepped up and got it done. They were tough, and definitely not perfect, but considering a) it wasn't a great day, b) I did heavy back squats first, and c) I didn't change the way I do these despite how heavy they were (I still only rested like 2:30 between sets). Pretty cool.

Finally, put 135 on the ground for some timed deads. I think these were probably the hardest part of my workout today. I set my times so I would hit a set every 3 minutes, - hit 135 x 3, 225 x 2, 315 x 1, 365 x 1, and then 415 x 1,1,1 with 3 mins rest. The reps were tough. I think part of the problem was that my legs were a little spent after all of those heavy sqizzy squats, so I was definitely using probably more back than ideal. Also, the weight was a tiny bit out front, again maybe because my legs weren't all there. And finally.... I was wearing shorts, and I severely underestimated how shitty locking out a heavy deadlift is with the bar sticking to your sweaty thighs haha. I need to make sure to wear fucking long pants on thursdays from now on. And to bring baby powder when I finally do a meet haha. Still, got all 3, which again isn't bad for the end of a tough workout under less than ideal conditions.

SO, overall a pretty kickass workout, despite not feeling great. I have really done a good job walking the line of overtraining, and I need to keep it up these next couple weeks. Probably going to try and stick closer to the prescribed reps monday, then nail the 355 x 4 thurs, maybe go all out the next monday, and then just have some fun with heavy front squats on my last leg day. Just need to be careful to rest, eat, and listen to my body these next couple weeks. But no matter how good or bad these workouts are, I know I have made a ton of great progress, so I just need TO..... keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment