Monday, May 6, 2013

Squat: 345 x 3

Today was an okay day. The battle is a mental one - physically, I am just beat up a little. It's the end of the semester, stress and schoolwork (and sitting all day) is at an all-time high, recovery is low, and now is when I need to recover the most - right at the end of these 9 weeks. The trick is just to accept that these workouts will be less than perfect and not let it get you down... which is tough. However, I'm doing okay, I'm hitting all the numbers I need to and being smart about my workouts. Just have to keep my chin up and keep at it.


Started with 5/3/1 squat. Took longer warming up, which definitely helped with form and coming out of the bottom more smoothly, but still my reps just aren't as fast as normal, and the weight just feels heavier than normal. Haven't had a GOOD day in a while. Still, I would say warmups felt better today than they have been. Hit the bar x 10, then 125 x 10, 6, then 205 x 10 which actually felt pretty solid. 265 x 3 didn't feel awesome, but 305 x 3 was pretty solid, especially the third rep. Loaded up 345 and focused best I could - hit it for the first rep, which was definitely tougher than I would have liked, but the second rep was very solid, and the third, although slow and tough, was also very solid. Called it there. I honestly don;t know if I would have had another rep today, which might be a little disheartening under other circumstances. But taking into account all the crap goign on, and the fact that I trained later than normal, after taking two exams (and the fact that I threw an extra 5 lbs on my actual 5/3/1 weight), this is totally fine. I just need to focus up, rest up, and sack up come thursday, and I think I will definitely be able to hit the 355 x 4. Just gonna take some tenacity.

Next, speed deads had me a little bit nervous because of the bicep issue. Definitely felt it a little bit, which to me confirms that there is, in fact, a slight strain or something. But overall it wasn't a problem at all. Hit 315 x 10 x 1 from a 2 plate deficit on the minute. First 2 reps were a little out in front, but I quickly settled into a nice groove and the weight was moving very well. Just had to focus on getting my hips low enough, and keeping the weight in close to my body. Nice and fast overall, though.

Can't tell if this is real.... that's awesome

Finally, snatch deads went pretty well. Hit 125 x a slew, then 205 x 3, 265 x 3, and 305 x 3, all very solid, felt better than a lot of recent snatch grip warmups. Loaded up 365 and went after it. For the second time, I tried to pull it and something was slightly amiss, so I picked it up say an inch, put it down and immediately pulled it for the first rep, then the second, and finally got the third about to my knees before my left hand's grip slipped. I definitely could have finished the pull though. and 365 x 2 is still a PR, so that's cool. I think next week I will just strap up, try to get rid of that shitty first quarter-rep, and try and triple 365. I think I will definitely be able to, if I just focus up and work.


So overall, a really decent workout. Squats weren't AMAZING, but the thing I have to keep in mind is 1) I'm beat to shit for a thousand reasons, and 2) squatting 345 x 3 on a not-great day is something that was unthinkable just a short while ago, so I am definitely and without a doubt stronger. I just have to trust that, keep training the best I can despite not having the best of workouts, and the only true test of my strength gains will be when I max out in just over 2 weeks.


Finally, I think I know what I am going to do about this bicep issue. There is definitely something not quite right, and yet it isn't at all painful, bruised, etc. Probably it is just a little inflamed, or perhaps a little bit strained. But I can't let that get in my head too much. I think I am basically just going to keep training as normal, and just know that if it gets worse, I need to be aware. I am even going to keep training arms - with some slight modifications. Triceps I am pretty much going to train normally. Basically, going relatively heavy and pushing close to failure on extension and pressing movements (8-12 rep range) seems to work great for getting a tricep pump, so I am going to try and stick with that. Biceps, I am going to be especially careful with the next few days - but essentially, I am goign to stop training curls heavy and stop single arm training. I am going to stick with curl variations that involve both arms (cables, straight bar, curl bar), and keep the weight light - weight I can do 20+ reps with, strict. In order to increase intensity, I am going to do things like increase number of sets, decrease rest, and focus on squeezing the muscle harder with more controlled reps, rather than increasing weight. Hopefully, as long as I am careful, the bicep will heal up nice and quick, and the bicep work will even help it heal faster. Over time, I'm sure the tendons and connective tissue will strengthen. Still, I would rather do a shittier workout (lighter) consistently than a better, heavier workout that risks injury, or even just makes me paranoid. If it isn't getting better, I will need to consider, but for now that's the plan. So, lets keep the chin up, and keep at it. Can't wait to max out.

No comments:

Post a Comment