Friday, May 10, 2013

205 bench for 3 x 6

Nothing crazy today. Took it a little easy, had a pretty good day.



url.jpg

Started with bench. Warmed up really fast, combining my normal warmup with bench sets, which felt awesome. I loved going faster, cause then rest time on the top sets felt SO restful. Also, focused a lot on flexing my lats to break the bar off my chest, which felt good. Hit 205 for a solid 6, but decided not to try for 7. Then hit a second, tougher 6, followed by a final set of 6 that was easier than the second, but still not so easy that I thought I could get 7.

Next, strict press. Started at 95, then hit 135 x 3, 155 x 3, and finally 175 x 2 and then another 2. Couldn't get the third. Kind of lame... I definitely think on a better day I could have gotten it. But at the same time, I'm not really too bummed. First of all, last time I stalled was the exact same situation, only thirty pounds lighter... and clearly the re-set helped haha. Secondly, My press has kind of been poopy lately so I'm thinking maybe this re-set is exactly what I need. I was brainstorming, and thinking that maybe this summer I will reduce pressing volume a lot, take a break from all these reps I'm doing (maybe in both bench and strict press work). I'm thinking I will keep up 5/3/1 with the prescribed reps, and maybe do a "work up to a heavy single" thing to try and get my body back to being used to what it feels like to move really heavy weight efficiently. Then, I can really put the focus this summer on volume for my back/arms. I can try and grow those guys, and see what kind of impact it has on my pressing lifts. At the very least, it will build a great foundation to make progress in the fall.


Finally, did some more lighter arms stuff. Put 5's on the curl bar this time, and did 5 rounds as fast as I could, 15 curls and 15 skullcrushers. Just that little bit of weight made a HUGE difference. Got a pretty crazy pump. Also, no real bicep pain or even weirdness. I'm very happy that it seems to be feeling much better.

So overall, nothing crazy today, but a pretty decent session. Gotta rest up best I can this weekend, prepare for my final training week, and continue to make plans for the future! Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment