Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mock Meet II

Good day today. Far from perfect, as I have been saying, but still a really good day, fun, hit some solid PR's, and learned (which is always the goal)


Started with squats. Warmed up a ton, all sorts of stuff, and that worked really well - felt great when I started squatting. Hit the bar for 10, then 135 x 5, 3, then 225 x 3, 1, and 275 x 1,1, and then 315 x 1. Felt really good as far as form, but maybe a little bit slower and weaker than I have felt on REALLY good days at 315. Loaded up 345, threw on the belt, and hit it for a single. Pretty solid, not too hard or slow. Loaded up 375 (old PR) and hit it for a very solid rep, and it was just tougher and slower than I wanted. I felt very bummed for a second, because I really wanted to take a crack at 405 but based on 375 I just didn't think I would get it. So, I took josh's advice, didn't get stuck on the number, and loaded up 390. Hit it for a great rep, form was awesome. It was incredibly hard and slow, but that means it was a really good decision to load up 390. And that is a 15 lb pr, even though it's 15 lbs lighter than I wanted.

Next, I totally fucked up bench. While with squat, the much more minimal warmup with weight forked really well, with bench I think it was a huge mistake. I hit the bar x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 4, 185 x 2, then 215 x 1 with the belt. All were easy, but simply did not feel good at all. I then loaded up 240. My thinking was that, although it was a big jump, there should be NO chance of me missing 240, seeing as how I doubled 235 just a week ago. However, my body was just not prepared to deal with taht heavy weight, and completely shut down. I got 100% stapled by 240 not once by twice, which should NOT have happened. I thought it was mental at first, but honestly in hindsight I think it was physiological - my nerves simply shut off because the weight was too much of a shock. Disappointing, but I got over it fast.

Finally. deadlifts went really well. Got really amped up for these and it was a good choice - no-explode and really good music and focus. Hit 155 x a few, then 245 x 2, 315 x 1, 365 x 1, all super fast and awesome. Hit 415 x 1 with the belt and destroyed it, so I loaded up 455. Again, I destroyed it, exactly the way I was hoping to. So, loaded up 475, got crazy amped, took a whiff of amonia, and Went after it hard. It was a really close miss - pulled it well to about mid-thigh and then just could not squeeze my hips through for the life of me. I tried to without hitching, then resorted to hitching and got SO close before my grip gave out. But hey, that was a REALLY big reach (for a 40 lb PR) and I ALMOST got it. Nothing to be ashamed of. I just let my back get a little too round and didn't force my hips quite low enough. But still, definitely not bad - easy 20 lb PR AFTER max squat and bench.

Here's the video.



SO, even with the horrible benching, I end up with a 1060 total, 25 lbs better than in December. Really happy and proud of that progress. So what are some things I have learned from today?

1) Squat is the most nerve-wracking lift. Don't get hung up with numbers on this. Set an opener you know you can make, and then make realistic jumps based on how you feel that day. Rather than having huge goals, just feel it out. After the squat, it's all fun.

2) Bench - I need more warmup, not just in meets but until I am better at them. For squats and deadlifts, I am good enough that a minimal warmup simply saves energy, as long as I do a longer general warmup. But on bench, I need to do more warmup reps and make smaller jumps. May not be ideal, but if I don't my nerves shut right down.

3) Getting really amped up for deadlift works great. Form stayed really nice - only thing to be careful of is to keep working to start with my hips lower, always. I have recently figured out how to use my back, and that's great, but too much back makes lockout incredibly hard haha. Gotta keep working to find the balance.

Anyways, great day. Now, to rest, eat, replenish my body and my mind, then I start on a new journey - getting in shape, and paving myself to make insane gains next years. Coming soon, my summer programming, and some goals for a year from now. Lets rest up and keep at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment