Monday, April 9, 2012

Squat day after test meet

First of all, I had a 24 hour cheat after my mock meet, and let me just say it was awesome. Carbs never tasted so good. My thinking was that it would help speed my recovery, and besides it was about time for a cheat meal or two anyways. I'm hoping that it will help spur my metabolism, and help me drop some extra body fat in these last three weeks before I leave school. If it doesn't, I'm going to need to tweak my diet some more once summer comes, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

It wouldn't be a cheat without a McDouble

ANYWAYS, I was still pretty sore and beat up this morning, and stressing a little bit about a leg workout so soon after the meet, but I didn't feel too bad. I went through my warmup pretty quick, doing 5 with the bar, 5 with 95, 5 with 135, and then jumping straight to 185 for my first work set. Then, I hit 215 for 5, and finally, 240 for 11. The first ten reps were pretty much perfect. The 11th was sloppy (I dropped my chest), and because of that it was a hard rep, so I decided to just stop there. I definitely had a few more in me though, which is good.

Next, speed deads felt very fast. I wasn't too wiped from the squats, so I didn't find these to be overly taxing or exhausting. 215 moved pretty fast for 12 sets of 2 from a deficit, and my form felt very nice too. It's good the weight is moving so well on only the second wave of this speed work. Hopefully 245 will move pretty fast as well a few weeks from now, which means I'll have no problem taking my speed work weight up again in another few cycles.

All my speed deads are from a deficit. I'm thinking about maybe starting to wave the height of the deficit in the next 3 cycle wave, just to add more changing stimuli. We'll see what I decide

Finally, I was sort of dreading doing 5 x 10 squats at 165 today, thinking it would be especially brutal and miserable when i'm tired, but it was actually pretty easy. The first four sets of ten moved nicely - I focused  on breaking each set into two waves of five, which let me move through them fast, while keeping form very nice. Then, because I didn't push 240 to the limit, I decided to go pretty hard on the fifth set at 165. I got 15, then did a paused 16th rep just to really fuck my legs up. Just as a point of reference - in the beginning of the year, I did some 20 rep squats, and the final weight I used was 165, with a belt. And today, I got 16 without much trouble, AFTER 4 sets of 10 with 90 seconds rest. Pretty awesome progress.

So many squats. At so much less weight than this guy hahaha

To top it off, I did some standing cable crunches today, which I actually liked very much. I worked up to 3 sets of 20 with a hundred pounds. It wasn't incredibly difficult, but I definitely felt it in my abs by the end. It was a nice alternative to the weighted sit-ups I've been doing.

SO, this was a pretty great day, especially considering that I'm still sore and a little burnt out from the maxes saturday. Even though I was a little nervous for today, I tried to keep my head even and go at it one set, one rep at a time, and it ended up being an awesome workout because of that. So, I'm gonna eat and rest a lot the rest of today, and try to kick some more ass tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment