Saturday, April 21, 2012

Extra squats

Squats have been bugging me lately, so today for my heavy movement I just decided to squat up heavy. I worked up in 5's, so it looked like this

95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 2

275 felt pretty heavy today, so I decided to stop there and, instead of going any heavier, just do a bunch of singles at that weight. They felt pretty good, they were hard but I did 7 or 8, without much rest and without missing a rep. I tried to really sink into them deep, and make the form feel really nice. After the singles, I worked back down in a sort of big drop set, hitting 225, 185, 135 and 95 for sets of 5 again, without really resting in between.

Overall it felt good, I would have liked to have gone heavier, but I think I need to get used to just squatting up to a HEAVY REP - worrying about how the weight feels on that day more than the actual weight. So I did good today by listening to my body - try and keep that up in the future.

P.S. My "workout" wasn't nearly this ballsy, but this is where the drop-set idea came from. Thinking i might do it again in the near future, maybe during my "deload"

Matt Kroc, 40 rep squats

No comments:

Post a Comment