Monday, December 16, 2013

Squat 385 x 4

Not a great day today. I was pretty disgruntled with my workout. But overall, it wasn't terrible, and I think I know largely what was up, so that is good.



Started with squat. Felt pretty good warming up, lower back was feeling a little shitty, but not bad. Got nice and warm, and smashed the bar for a set, then 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 315 x 1. So, I loaded up 385, belted up, and hit it for a max set. Reps were a little slower and tougher than I expected, but I just kept going, breathing, going again. Hit a really solid 4, then went for 5 and I was SO close to getting it, pushed as hard as I could but I just couldn't lock it out. After, re-racked 385 and tried it again and failed right away - my mind failed me. And I shouldn't have tried again, because the problem wasn't mental or technical - I simply wasn't strong enough on this day. So here's the deal: I wanted 6 reps, only got 4, which made me very angry. Very very angry. But I have to remember that it's not like I barely got 4, I ALMOST had 5, just barely missed it, which definitely matters. Secondly, There are a number of small reasons why today might not be a great day: First, new equipment/a new gym. Second, a lot of sitting around since I got home. Third, I have been working hard on thursdays with my front squat (hitting that 315 x 5 last thurs) and maybe I'm getting to a point where I need to be tapering that off, cause I'm a tiny bit overtrained. But most of all, I think a big part of the problem is dietary. Since I got home, I have had NO problem getting my protein in, cause food is so much tastier here haha. Problem is, I am eating a FRACTION of the carbs I was eating at school because I just don't need them to choke down the protein. But that is NO good for squat day. So, I think the solution to todays bad squat session is simple: Eat more calories/carbs this next week, adjust to the new gym, stay active/mobile during the day and don't just sit around, and don't push too hard at the end of the week, because I need to extra recovery. And next monday, I will make 405 feel like 385 felt today. Gonna hit that shit for a STRONG 4, and then push through that 5th rep this time.

Rest of the workout was actually pretty good, although I couldn't shake the crankiness. Dropped back to 225, hit it for a paused single, 275 x 1, then went to 315 and hit it for 3, then 2, then 1. It wasn't easy but it was strong and solid, and double the volume of last monday's pause squats, so that's cool.

Finally, deadlifts felt great. Pulled 275 x 3 x 10 touch n go, without much rest. By the end, my lower back was feeling TIRED, but those 3 sets of 10 weren't hard at all, and I really haven't ever done that much dead lift volume at that kind of weight.

Finally, just rolled around and stretched a bit. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better, although bench is often the toughest lift to transition to a new gym space. However, I'll eat right today and just give it my best and hope it is a stronger day tomorrow. And I need to not get down about my squats - I have had 4 AMAZING, pr squat workout in a row, and today was ANOTHER pr squat workout haha, yet I'm crabby about it. But I'm gonna recover right, SMASH a 365 front squat thurs, recover right again, and come back a week from today and let 405 have it. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment