Wednesday, July 24, 2013

WOD

Today, I did a little metcon/WOD instead of my normal light cardio followed by light lifting. It was fun! Hard, felt like shit, but fun.


Basically, decided to do power cleans, to work on explosiveness in my lower body/hips, and pushups, to get some more pressing volume/chest work in, plus some running to add to the time the workout would take to complete, so that it would be a nice 20 minute or so session. So this is what I did:

5 power cleans at 135
15 pushups
5 more powercleans at 135
200 meter run

5 rounds

It felt good overall haha. Basically, it was harder than I thought (duh) cause I haven't done a metcon in forever. However, over all it was a super productive workout. Power cleans were light enough that I could do them with good form, and I broke the 10 total reps up, which again helped keep form good. Pushups were really not much of a problem, they weren't hard on my muscles, just on my breathing. Running felt like shit, I tried to use it as recovery time but really I just looked the LEAST athletic I have ever looked haha. I think it would have been better to have done like 50 meter sprint, rest 30 seconds, 50 meter sprint. I would have been ACTUALLY running, instead of the horrible jogging thing I was doing today lol. Basically, I just took my time. Tried not to rest TOO much, but also didn't go as fast as possible. Kept form good on the movements, rested just a little bit after the run, when my heart rate was up anyways. Ended up taking me about 22 minutes, which is perfect! heart rate elevated for that amount of time is exactly what I was looking for.


So, overall, great workout. Things to remember for next time: Pushups can be a little harder. Running should be more like short sprints, so that I am ACTUALLY working hard and running, then I can rest a little more with my heart rate still elevated (maybe RUN then walk a little bit?) But doing the light movements was great to get in the technique/speed/volume work that I needed, and taking my time with the workout allowed me to get a decent length conditioning workout in. Heart rate was high, I ws working hard, but I was more interested than when I am running, getting in more relevant work (i.e. practice lifting, explosiveness, etc.)

SO: I think I should do this more often! just need to pick movements that are A) going to help my lifting, B) light enough to keep good form on, and C) take my time just enough so that my heart rate is elevated for a longer time, and I can execute the whole workout with good form so that it is useful in a number of different ways. Lets keep at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment