Thursday, July 18, 2013

Squat 225 x 8 x 8

Wow, killer workout today. So hard.


Warmed up today, tried to get a good warmup in, stretch, warm up my ankles and stretch them out particularly. Then, started squatting. I felt strong on monday, and form was good, but I felt slow. So today, I decided to do lighter weight and just try and move it fast, smooth and easy. However, being the masochist I am I couldn't just do speed work haha. So I did a TON of volume. Hit the bar for 8, then hit 4 front squats. Then jumped to 135 and hit it for 8, and 4 front squats. Then, went up to 225. The first two sets of 8 were a little tough and sloppy. However, after that I settled into a groove, sets 3 and 4 were great. Form was great, reps were fast and smooth. However, 8 sets of 8 is a LOT. My legs were holding up fine, but my calves started to cramp, my back started to get raw from the back, and my mind was tired. But I pushed on. Hit 5, 6, and 7 and each set was faster and better than the last.

Finally, after set 7 I got some endorphins and had the sadistic idea to rep out the last set haha. So I did. I started by just focusing on 8, then 10, then 12, then 14 because that would make it an even 70 reps. However, once I got to 14 I knew I had to have 15... and then when I got to 15 I realized how close I was to 20. I mentally made a deal with myself that I wouldn't have to do any more in the workout if I just pushed to 20. So I kept going. Form got a little rougher, but I fucking made it haha. 20 reps at 225 is a feat in and of itself, nevermind AFTER 56 reps. Really proud and happy with that. Almost threw up, and I am currently HURT. But I am happy and proud of this workout.

And finally, did a set of hollow rocks haha. I need to keep working my abs and trying to keep strong in that hollow body position. I think that will keep my deadlifts strong and my back from rounding.

Anyways, great workout. So hard, truly a test mentally and physically. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment