Monday, July 8, 2013

Free Your Mind: Squat 345 x 2

So I decided to free myself from all the constraints. No more hard programming, no more hard dieting. I've simplified everything. Here's the basics


Max effort lower body monday, with assistance for quads, back and posterior chain

Max effort upper body, with assistance for back, arms, shoulders, whatever.

Rep effort lower - move light weight with an emphasis on reps, to improve form, speed, and build muscle. Same assistance type stuff.

Rep effort upper body - Same assistance.

Easy and simple. Then, 20 minutes of cardio on wednesday and saturday, with whatever lifting or stretching I feel like doing. And for diet, plain and simple: More protein the better, less carbs the better. If I'm feeling a little chubby, cut down the carbs. If my workouts are feeling shitty, up them a little. Healthy food is a no brainer, so don't make it too complicated.

So, here's what I did today:


Max effort squat, started warming up and didn't feel too great. I was stiff and firing a little weird today, plus I was on the rack that I didn't want lol. So, hit the bar for a set, then 135 for 5,5, 225 for 3, 1, 275 x 3. Then I loaded up 315 and hit i for a double. Didn't feel great - I think I am simply not very used to heavy weight, cause it felt like shit lol. But I went up to 335 and hit that for a double as well - definitely hard. But I felt especially tenacious today, and committed to pushing myself towards a true max effort. So, I loaded up 345 and hit it for a double! Hard, grindy, but also very solid. It's the first time I have been really happy and proud of a squat set in a while. And, that's only 20 lbs less than my best double EVER, beltless or otherwise. Not half bad, considering how long it's been since I had heavy weight on my back.

Next, dropped back to 135 and hit it for a warm-up front squat. Then went to 185 and hit it for sets of 5, pausing the 5th rep. Really tried to focus on using my quads and keeping my back tight and upright, and I was feeling it. Did 5 x 5, with pretty limited rest. Felt hard, but good too. Definitely wiped me out.

Finally, did snatch grip, stiff-leg deadlifts from a deficit of maybe an inch and a half. These felt great. Started with 135 and hit it for 2 sets of 8 to warm up and feel it out. Then I went up to 185 and hit it for 2 sets of 8 and a set of 10 with relatively little rest. Did these touch n go - definitely crushed my butt and hamstrings, and my back to a lesser extent. On the last set, I held the weight at the top for maybe 30 seconds to try and really tire out my traps, upper back, and all the muscles that support pulls.


And I feel great. It's hard not to doubt myself, but I need to be free! Use my common sense, work my ass off, listen to my body, and I will SUCCEED! I feel like I got a GREAT workout today, and that is a good feeling. And I truly can't wait for tomorrow. Lets keep at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment