Thursday, February 14, 2013

Insanely hard squats: 300 for 5 x 6

Today was an insanely difficult workout, but I did great so I am happy and proud.


Started with 5 x 6 squats. Warmed up with the bar, then 125 for a few sets, and 205 for a set of 9. Then hit 265 for a triple. The weight was moving nicely and I felt pretty good, so I decided to go for 300 as my weight. I'm VERY glad I didn't do 305, because 300 was ABSOLUTELY the heaviest I could have managed. The first set was tough, but solid. I hoped the second set would be better, but it was still pretty tough - then it got REALLY hard. Set 3 was very difficult, and the last rep took me about 6 second to lock out. I thought it couldn't get any worse, but set 4 was REALLY tough, and the final rep took me about 8 seconds to lock out (I actually think I went back down on this one, that's how hard it was). However, I got a kick of endorphins on the final set, and rested a lot so it went slightly better than the others. Overall, not a single missed rep, form was good (not perfect, but I am NOT complaining with how heavy and hard this was). I'm very impressed with myself, and proud of myself for persevering. Also, I have some cool ideas about how I'm going to proceed with the next few weeks - I'm thinking 305 for 5 x 4 next week, as a sort of "easier" week, then 315 for 5 x 4 the week after (tough, but definitely do-able). Then, for my 5 x 2 I am thinking I might work up to the heaviest double I can - so something like 305 x 2, 325 x 2, 335 x 2, 345 x 2, 355 x 2. Maybe even let myself throw on the belt for the last set or two. It's kinda like working up to hit my "opener" for a double - then, next 9 weeks I can try and hit ____ for a double on 5 x 2 week, and use that as my opener. We will see.

Next, front squats were cake. They never feel "good" (i.e. fast, explosive, smooth), but they ALWAYS feel easy, which I think is a great sign that, when I max out fresh, I will do really well. hit 190 x 3, then 215 x 2, and finally 240 for 3 singles, cake.


Finally, deadlifts were rough hahah. The warmups weights were moving fast and smooth 205, 285, even 345 moved pretty nicely. But once I went to 385 I really couldn't budge it. Maybe with more rest and more anger I could have, but it wasn't worth it. Those squats were a Max effort, and it's not a big deal that I didn't really have gas left for heavy pulls. Dropped back to 285 and hit it for a few singles, just to move weight, and called it a day (forgot about ab work).

So, overall a great workout. A little disappointed in the deads, but that's just me being stupid. I'll get back at it next week for sure. Very happy with the squats, both back and front. I don't need to always push that hard, but it's cool every once in a while to test yourself. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment