Monday, February 11, 2013

Great Leg Workout: Squat 325 x 3

Today I had a great leg workout, which I am really happy about because I'm tired of feeling like a fat sack of aids with the flu, the snowstorm, and whatnot. This was a great workout, and it felt awesome to lift some heavy weights.

Started with 5/3/1 squats. Warming up was a little weird. I felt pretty good, but I was also a little soft, and I was misfiring a bit. The squats felt easy, but a little choppy and a little heavy. I think some of the softness was due to my pulled neck muscle, it was kind of hard to get as tight as I might normally. Hit the bar for a few sets, then 125 for 10 and then 5. Then, I did something I don't normally do and squatted 205 for a full set of 10. I kind of liked doing this. I feel like it's nice to do a shitload of reps. It's still really easy, and it just allows me more time to move and get warm and whatnot. And it makes the sets of 5 seem shorter. Anyways, my first work set was 255. This set was a bit of a bummer. IT felt heavy, and I felt a little off in my technique. Went up to 290, and this time I tried to focus on a few specific things: first, treating the weight like a warmup at 125 helped me get tighter, be more comfortable under the weight, etc. Second of all, focusing on keeping my weight in the middle of my foot helped me keep my hips forward without getting too far forward. The 3 at 290 were much better. So, I loaded on up to 325, rested, and went after it. It was a great set, I hit the weight for a VERY solid triple, and racked it. I think I definitely had another rep in me, but I am really trying to leave some in the tank, and I am REALLY happy with a very nice and solid triple at that weight.

Speed deadlifts were next, 8 sets of 1 at 315 from a 2 inch deficit, on the minute. These were pretty solid overall. Not VERY fast, but they moved pretty nicely. And I tried to think of it this way: not long ago, I was attempting to move just 315 for 1-3 flat-backed singles, and today I hit it for 8, perfectly flat back, from a deficit, with no problem. That's kind of cool. Hopefully next month they will move a little bit faster without the random break week to throw me off.


Snatch grip deadlifts are awesome. I have so much fun with these. I hit 125, 185, 225, 265, and finally 305 for 5 today. That last set was TOUGH. My grip was close to failing, and my lower back is KILLING me right now. But My back stayed flat, and I made all 5 reps. I think these are awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if these getting heavier is a large part of the reason that my heavy deadlift singles with a flat back have been getting easier and moving up in weight faster. I'm excited to switch to sets of 3 next week. It will be a nice change from 5's. I think I might go 135, 185, 225, 275, and then 315 to start, then attack the next 2 weeks from there.


Finally, did a set of hollow rocks to failure (30) to get my abs.

Overall, an awesome day. Some very great squats at a very heavy weight, and a lot of heavy pulling. I feel like I worked hard, and I am happy with myself for having fun and NOT pushing too hard, but rather getting in some quality work and leaving excited for the next workout. Lets keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment