Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Arms day + Bench Experimentation + DIET

Had a fun day today, experimenting a little with my new idea for bench. Got a huge pump and had fun.


Went in and stretched a lot. Stretching has been helping me a lot lately so I'm kind of committing to doing it when I warm up and on my lighter workouts. Anyways, started warming up on bench and doing some light curls. With the curls, I was curling the dumbells to chin hight, which I liked. Anyways, worked up to 165 on bench and hit it for 3 x 10, with a good bit of rest between sets. And to be honest, it was NOT easy haha. That weight is pretty light for me, but my bench muscles just don't have the strength/endurance to do solid sets of 10 haha. That tells me that this change in training style will probably be VERY good for me. With my strict press, I think it helped me to be really confident underneath the weight, and learn how to move through a set making each rest smooth and efficient, AND helped me build some muscle. I think If I can get this with my bench, it's goign to make a huge difference. Plus, if I stick with this type of training, I should be able to get 185 x 3 x 10 soon, and then I'll get to work on 205 x 3 x 10... it might take a ling time, but the next step is 225 x 3 x 10, and if I can achieve THAT, I will have made some HUGE progress on my bench. Very exciting and cool.

Next, did 3 x 12 curls with 20 lb dumbells up to my chin. Got an awesome pump. Felt SOOOO huge after this.

Overall, had fun. I think I am going to try and keep benching on wednesdays, although probably lighter than I did today - just moving 95 lbs for a few sets of 15 or 20 is a great way to increase frequency, volume, improve technique, etc.

ALSO, some ideas about diet that I have been having  lately:

Basically, I am fast approaching 225, with the dietary strategy of "eat a fucking lot of food." I'm not going CRAZY and eating a lot of junk food, but I'm also not stressing too much. Just eating a lot and training hard. Once I hit 225, I think I am going to take a week or so to keep eating a lot, to cement me around that weight. Then, for the rest of the semester I am going to make slight changes to my food quality - things like drinking only 2% milk instead of chocolate milk, eating some more of my meats not in sandwich form, having 1 piece of toast with my eggs instead of 3, etc. These will just be little changes to take my overall calories/sugars down a little bit, so I can hopefully keep putting on a few pounds of muscle, but maybe lose a little bit of bodyfat before I leave school. Then, over the summer I am going to just take those little changes a tiny bit father (since I won't have unlimited food). Basically, still be able to eat moderate amounts of carbs whenever I want, but I'll just try and keep extra sugar out, AND I will try to get my protein for mostly lean sources - eggs, chicken, 2% milk, and maybe more than one protein shake a day. That way I can have plenty of protein still, but just less overall calories and sugar. SO, in theory I will be able to still put on a couple lbs of muscle, but lose a good bit of fat. So hopefully, by the end of the summer I will be a lean, mean 215 or so. Then I can come back to school and start eating lots and training HARD again, and start working my weight up once more.

Anyways, those are just some ideas. Exited for my workout tomorrow. Lets keep at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment